Ask Me Anything w/ @ahkok, 6/19 @ 1PM PST

I’m new to the Linux world and would you give me some resources where I can seriously learn more about the operating system?
The whole ecosystem seems to be so huge and I can hardly know where should I started.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to these questions @ahkok, it has been insightful.

I’d like to add 2 to the mix if possible:

1. How many people are part of the clear Linux core team?
  2. What is the QA process for newly packaged apps to be pushed to production? I’ve noticed a few apps get pushed that are completely non-functional.

I may be a bit of an old timer but of I had a single resource that explained how all the Linux bits stick together … Well I wouldn’t withhold it from anyone.

Personally I still rely heavily on man pages, which is why I’ve pushed many of our projects to add thorough man pages. I personally still like to refer to some of the other linux wikis and the arch wiki is a good example.

What really helped me is that as I learned about all this, it was mostly still being developed. That luxury is largely gone for new developers. For instance, gnome 1.4 was tiny :smile:.

Best thing is likely to pick a focus topic and ask. Our IRC channel is a great start for that.

1 Like

That’s actually not something I can just answer, and it’s offtopic for this AMA, sorry!

1 Like

Proper packaging often means much more than just adding the compiled software. For this reason we often allow new packages to be completely untested. That allows us to roll out the software on a personal testing box and work on the stateless aspects or fixing missing deps.

If we’d wait until it was fully tested we’d be forced to do it all ourselves, so it actually helps us if we can leverage the community. If you see something that’s new and non-functional, it guaranteed means that your feedback will be highly valuated!

Another simple angle is that any new package is likely never going to break anything else, so the risk of including it is minimal, and this grants us speed.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Daemon configuration and integration

Yes it is possible, systemd-boot look for windows partition and shows in the menu, just add a timeout to clr-boot-manager

$ sudo clr-boot-manager set-timeout 10
 $ sudo clr-boot-manager update

Thanks @ahkok for the answers and everyone for the participation! Hopefully it was helpful. I appreciate any feedback to improve for next time.

Phoronix did a post about it, in case you’d like to check it out:

For all those eagerly awaiting offline installs, we’re very happy to announce that the live desktop and server images now support offline install for basic configurations. See here for more details.