Can't add rpm package to bundle with mixin

Anyone can help for this issue?

When you create the image using mixer, you can specify which bundles get added into that image. See step #4 on configure image here: https://clearlinux.org/documentation/clear-linux/guides/maintenance/mixer#maintain-or-modify-mix

You can modify the JSON array to include your custom bundle. Below is the section you can add it too.

{
  (snipped)
  Bundles": ["kernel-kvm", "os-core", "os-core-update"]
}

Could you please expand on the thought of deprecating mixer? Will an alternate method to customize Clear Linux be substituted? To be able to customize is rather important for us, as we would like to add ZoL (which I doubt would ever be officially supported) in addition to other software that may not be included in official bundles.

Mixer is never going to get deprecated. You misread what I wrote, I think. mixer and mixin are different tools.

What is ZoL ?..

ZoL is ZFS on Linux.

Thank you for the reply, I meant to type mixin rather than mixer.

mixin is used to modify the Clear Linux OS image, which is what we need to use to modify the OS image to bring something to the OS that will not or can not be offered in bundles.

I received the following reply in the Dev Mailing List:

Making a change to to Clear Linux that propagates to a large number of
systems is something better suited to mixer’s
(GitHub - clearlinux/mixer-tools: Software update mixer and related tools) main use case rather than
mixin which requires each system to build and maintain the change
locally.

So it would appear I am confused as to what exactly both mixer and mixin do. Learning curve +1.

And some of our documentation is outdated as well, sorry! We’ve got to do some fixing there, for sure.

Mixer is designed to work for people who customize Clear Linux for many users. It requires that you setup a web server, handle certificates, create your own installation image (for which there are all tools, of course).

As such it isn’t very ideal for people that need to make changes to 1 machine only. In that case, compiling and locally installing software (sudo make install) is likely the best method. For a custom compiled kernel, this is certainly the case - packaging it would be a significant effort for very little return.

So when the mixer document will be updated?

If you can, help us by submitting changes to the documentation!

Do you mean the document have already been updated in github?

No, I’m pointing out that everyone can suggest changes to the documentation and that you don’t need to wait per se until a developer gets to it. In other words, please contribute.

I wish I could. But right now I don’t know why it doesn’t work for my bundle.

@ahkok, the docs, including concepts and such REALLY need to reflect this as most people being driven here via Forbes and the summit will be on the newer version and will attempt to use what is currently written. At the least the version and a way to easily get the version should be called out in the top of the docs.

I agree with that fully, I know the doc team is working on updates as we speak, and they were somewhat overrun by the fact that mixin is effectively broken for a while now and nobody working to fix it (for earlier mentioned reason).

Of course, the biggest problem is that people still confuse mixer with mixin, which is terribly painful and we probably should have never chosen the names to be that similar.

For reference, mixin really was just meant as an internal gadget. Mixer, however, has been always planned and worked on as the official and correct method for spinning clearlinux modifications.

If you read the forum threads carefully, you’ll see people use mixer and mixin interchangeably, which just makes things more complicated for everyone. I don’t think we can fully fix that situation unless we completely remove mixin from existence, but just talking about that makes peoples heads (rightfully) spin.

I’ll go and see what we can do about the docs together with the doc writers, though, maybe we should come up with some quick adjustments to make further confusion avoidable.

1 Like