Error when trying to open a mp4 file with mpv

[ffmpeg/video] h264_qsv: Error initializing the MFX video decoder: unsupported (-3)
Error while decoding frame!
[ffmpeg/video] h264_qsv: Error initializing the MFX video decoder: unsupported (-3)
[ffmpeg/video] h264_qsv: video_get_buffer: image parameters invalid
[ffmpeg/video] h264_qsv: get_buffer() failed
[ffmpeg/video] h264_qsv: video_get_buffer: image parameters invalid
[ffmpeg/video] h264_qsv: get_buffer() failed

I’m getting multiple different errors when trying to open a known-working mp4 file in mpv. Installed Clear Linux today for the 1st time, installed mpv with sudo swupd bundle-add mpv as normal.
Do I need to add codecs like I used to with Ubuntu?

As the error is telling, qsv is not able to initialize when decoding with mpv. This has to be resolved with mediasdk and ffmpeg teams. I’ll check this out and come back. mpv is not broken itself.

Okay, so it is because Clear Linux is missing codecs? I just want to understand what went wrong

Have there been any updates on this issue? Still occurs on Intel HD 4000 with the mpv bundle.

qsv support is currently nonfunctional, and no other codecs are installed (because we can not integrate them in Clear Linux OS). We do not have an idea when this is going to be resolved - nobody is working on this issue atm.

Thanks for the reply. Is there at least a way to get multimedia working without QSV? Running mpv with --hwdec=no still throws the same error.

mpv works, but does not support certain codecs. You can of course use media which isn’t plagued by this problem. Other solutions are to use alternative software from e.g. flathub through flatpak, or install the missing codecs yourself. These are discussed elsewhere on these forums.

Thank you for the response!

To those who got here from Google: this guide has helped me immensely:

https://community.clearlinux.org/t/how-to-h264-etc-support-for-firefox-including-ffmpeg-install/195