First Impression of Clear

So I am a long time Windows user, most of my experience with Linux distros comes from Slackware. So far, I love the speed of this distribution. While Solus Linux, provides an easier to use experience, this one finds the balance between simplicity and challenging in my opinion.

I think it would be great, if some of the bundles could be broken down a bit more. That or include slightly more options, for instance I think Clementine is great but I prefer Strawberry, which is built on a newer version of QT.

Also I am not sure if I did something wrong but Solus / Manjaro / Mint all load KDE faster than my install of Clear. So I am not sure what is going on with that.

Only other that is adding something that helps with the Graphics Driver would be great. I took the walk-thru for the nvidia drivers and made a script out of it. So that is fairly seamless now, but seems to me that adding a driving manager would be the way to go.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience.

The good news is both of these are goals of the CL team. If there are ones you feel should be prioritized, please let us know!

Hmm. We’d love for all the DEs to be best on CL but admittedly, GNOME gets the majority of our focus and attention. If you happen to find out what could be the differences or capture any relevant data, please do share it.

I’m glad you got it working and automated :slight_smile: @doct0rHu has shared a script on the forums as well. You may want to compare and contrast to see if either could be improved.

4 Likes

KDE takes up to 20 seconds to load on my desktop which is way slower than any other distro.

I haven’t had time to look thru the log files to see what jobs are slowing it down. But you aren’t alone in the load time. After load they’re only a few programs that seem to slow down, but overall it is very quick.

Any help to speed up KDE is welcome :wink:

3 Likes

@anselmolsm Thoughts?

1 Like

There’s indeed room for improvement, any help in terms of tweaking the KDE/Plasma start up is welcome :slight_smile:
I’ve been focusing on making KDE/Plasma functional (it’s my daily driver to do other CL stuff :wink: ) and I have done nearly nothing in terms of optmizations yet. As @puneetse said GNOME is still the DE receiving main focus of the team.

2 Likes

Not sure what it is the logs are not providing much data on this. Slack loads KDE faster but it also uses an older binary and by default is a much more minimal install. Best guess, seems to be when looking the system monitor I still see gnome binaries being loaded.

1 Like

We might find the solution in closely examining KDE’s own distro, Neon.

2 Likes

One thing that definitely impacts startup time is baloo enabled by default, which means a fresh install of desktop-kde bundle is impacted by that since Clear does not turn that off. Also background services enabled by default is another thing to check. The base install (may affect background services enabled) and turning baloo off or not are things each distro does differently.

On the distro independent side, upstream has a list of ideas to improve the startup (and it’s nice there’s already work in progress): ⚓ T10958 Faster Startup .

1 Like

For reference, I don’t find Plasma takes noticeably longer to startup (there’s a screen blank to resize the display resolution which does make it take longer to be usable, but it’s already loaded). I don’t have any gnome bundles installed and use the same defaults I created on Solus (i.e. disable content indexing in Baloo and the splash screen).

Content indexing in Baloo makes it quite heavy and creates a large database (I’ve seen multiple GB’s). Not having an SSD would make that quite painful.

1 Like

CPU Information
CPU 0:
vendor_id = “GenuineIntel”
version information (1/eax):
processor type = primary processor (0)
family = Intel Pentium Pro/II/III/Celeron/Core/Core 2/Atom, AMD Athlon/Duron, Cyrix M2, VIA C3 (6)
model = 0xe (14)
stepping id = 0x3 (3)
extended family = 0x0 (0)
extended model = 0x5 (5)
(simple synth) = Intel Core i3-6000 / i5-6000 / i7-6000 / Pentium G4000 / Celeron G3900 / Xeon E3-1200 (Skylake),
14nm
miscellaneous (1/ebx):
process local APIC physical ID = 0x0 (0)
cpu count = 0x10 (16)
CLFLUSH line size = 0x8 (8)
brand index = 0x0 (0)
brand id = 0x00 (0): unknown
feature information (1/edx):
x87 FPU on chip = true
VME: virtual-8086 mode enhancement = true
DE: debugging extensions = true
PSE: page size extensions = true
TSC: time stamp counter = true
RDMSR and WRMSR support = true
PAE: physical address extensions = true
MCE: machine check exception = true
CMPXCHG8B inst. = true
APIC on chip = true
SYSENTER and SYSEXIT = true
MTRR: memory type range registers = true
PTE global bit = true
MCA: machine check architecture = true
CMOV: conditional move/compare instr = true
PAT: page attribute table = true
PSE-36: page size extension = true
PSN: processor serial number = false
CLFLUSH instruction = true
DS: debug store = true
ACPI: thermal monitor and clock ctrl = true
MMX Technology = true
FXSAVE/FXRSTOR = true
SSE extensions = true
SSE2 extensions = true
SS: self snoop = true
hyper-threading / multi-core supported = true
–More–

Actually I think my issues in the boot time and what not come from the NVIDIA Driver, I am going to buy a radeon over the weekend and swap it out.

1 Like

maybe, but again I’m just using the intel integrated graphics, and loading times are super slow

Let us know how it performs, compared to NVIDIA…