LLVM Update Schedule

LLVM 8.0.1 was released on 19 July 2019 and LLVM 9.0.0 was released on 19 September 2019. But, Clear Linux is still using LLVM 8.0.0. When and how often is LLVM updated? By comparison, GCC appears to be updated every few days.

1 Like

A package update can be requested on the Clear Linux distribution repository. That can be found here. As for the update schedule, I would have to defer to someone else to inform on that.

We’re usually fairly aggressive about updating compilers, but there are a lot of packages that have a difficult time with newer versions. This is usually the case for LLVM, so, I expect it to take 1-2 weeks at minimum before we update it.

1 Like

Thanks, I have made the request here.

The project was updated to LLVM 9:

• Upgraded our LLVM 8.0.0 to version 9.0.0, including the Clang compiler (C and C++), LLVM’s linker, the SPIR-V translator from Khronos Group and the OpenCL support
  • Provided a compatibility bundle called “llvm8” containing the Clang compiler (version 8.0.1), for developers who want / need to test older versions
    • If there’s interest, we can provide Clang version 7 as well as “trunk” (what will be 10.0)
  • Upgraded the LLVM D language compiler to version 1.17. Existing applications must be rebuilt due to runtime support library change.

The previous version will be still available for those who need it through the llvm8 bundle.

LLVM 9.0.0 Release Notes

1 Like