MBR and GPT disks

Can I install it on MBR disk, using legacy BIOS? Or only on UEFI gpt disk?

Clear Linux requires UEFI in order to boot.

https://clearlinux.org/documentation/clear-linux/get-started/compatibility-check#compatibility-check

We want to make this possible at some point. I’ve started to work on this.

Using Clover as bootloader will help.

Any updates? Just purchased two machines without UEFI support and want to use Clear Linux on them.

Gonna try making a USB bootloader until MBR support

I am also confused as the the forums say this:

but the docs say this:
https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/latest/reference/system-requirements.html#system-requirements
very confusing. Of course I’ve not read all the docs.

It supports BIOS. The docs is being updated at this moment.

1 Like

In relation to the original post question:
Clear Linux does install with no problem for me on non-UEFI, BIOS computer. However it seems to require GPT disk. Installation fails for me on MBR disk.

2 Likes

I am new here. But this is a very IMPORTANT issue as booting on various configurations of 64bit PCs over the past decade is in constant flux at both the POST levels and drive devices.

BUT, one Linux seems to have addressed it in a satisfactory level…at least for now.

PREFACE: Their solution, which is applicable on this thread’s for your ISOs, is addressed for hybrid ISOs. Yet it is adaptable here to support Clear Linux.

Puppy Linux’s GITHUB (there are multiple entries on their GIT) has created a solution that will boot on BIOS PC, EFI PCs, 32bit UEFI PCs, and 64bit UEFI PCs with a single boot process image. Further any ISOs that are created using their technique since beginning of this year will ALSO boot their ISO, natively, without ever burning the ISO to either USBs or DVDs or drive media by using a Linux boot helper named SuperGRUB2Disk. SG2D has a GITHUB coverage as well.

You might do yourself a favor to reduce sleepless nights by reviewing or appealing to their work. AND if ClearLinux ever produces a hybrid ISO, their technique will work as well there to allow a live boot to ram via SG2D, simply and natively without disturbing the system disk contents.

Shorten your work effort and take the experience via GIT SG2D’s work for booting ISOs without burning to media as well as booting all types of PCs that GIT Puppy Linux has demonstrated.

Hope this reduces your workload and allow sleep with peaceful knowledge.
P.S. Puppy folks are very responsive while SG2D is a little/lot less so.

1 Like