No nvidia-setting after driver installation

Firstly: Wow, men :3 I just love this linux distribution!

My Laptop: Clevo P651RP6-G, i7 6700HQ, GTX 1060M, 16GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Wireless - Intel AC 8265

IT is just my hobby :smiley: I am a begginer in linux world etc. I followed guide here - https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/latest/tutorials/nvidia.html to install Nvidia drivers. I done everything, and after this command :

“sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-.run
–utility-prefix=/opt/nvidia
–opengl-prefix=/opt/nvidia
–compat32-prefix=/opt/nvidia
–compat32-libdir=lib32
–x-prefix=/opt/nvidia
–x-module-path=/opt/nvidia/lib64/xorg/modules
–x-library-path=/opt/nvidia/lib64
–x-sysconfig-path=/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
–documentation-prefix=/opt/nvidia
–application-profile-path=/etc/nvidia
–no-precompiled-interface
–no-nvidia-modprobe
–no-distro-scripts
–force-libglx-indirect
–glvnd-egl-config-path=/etc/glvnd/egl_vendor.d
–egl-external-platform-config-path=/etc/egl/egl_external_platform.d
–dkms
–silent”

It showed two warnings and after my terminal was blank, I tapped Ctr+Alt+F3, it opened a new window and i typed “reboot”, after I saw same terminal without graphic interface again, so I finished typing:

“lsmod | grep ^nvidia” than
“sudo swupd repair --quick --bundles=lib-opengl” and
“ln -sv /opt/nvidia/share/applications/nvidia-settings.desktop $HOME/.local/share”

than “reboot” and I got my desktop :3 But I can’t find or run nvidia-setting or any nvidia command. Someone know why ? It should be in my quick access apps i guess. Hmmm.

Oh no. I power off my PC and when I wanted to turn it on, every time I get non graphic terminal , and “Nvidiafb: cannot requests PCI regions” notification. I tried to smash “e” button to modify the boot parameters and add black list with nouveau as recommended on other threads, I did it, but no effect. Please help me.

The nvidia utilities should be under /opt/nvidia/bin after installation.

If you’re stuck in a state where you can’t access an interface or alternate terminal, boot with the kernel parameter systemd.unit=multi-user.target. That will not launch and graphical parts so you can investigate.

Now I can access my desktop with graphical parts, I reinstalled nvidia drivers, and this time after installation it changed to graphical interface automatically, nice. It’s funny now, that when I power on my PC I got same “Nvidiafb: cannot requests PCI regions”, but after a while it is working and going forward.

But still missing nvidia utilities. Well -> /opt/nvidia/bin I got that, there are scripts in this folder, but none of them is working.

Current OS version: 32020 ;
Kernel: 5.4.6-883.native ;
NVIDIA: “NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-440.44”

Have you add /opt/nvidia/bin to your PATH?
What do you mean by they not working?

“Have you add /opt/nvidia/bin to your PATH?”

I did everything like is written here: https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/latest/tutorials/nvidia.html . But I don’t see there “/opt/nvidia/bin” like command.

“What do you mean by they not working?”

I have no idea how should they work, but when I want to run “nvidia-settings” by clicking on it, nothing happens. Also there is no such a command like “nvidia-setting” and generally there is no app in the launcher for easy access as I understand this command “ln -sv /opt/nvidia/share/applications/nvidia-settings.desktop $HOME/.local/share” should do.

"Kinsogu@kinsogu-pc~ $ sudo /opt/nvidia/bin/nvidia-settings
Password:

ERROR: libnvidia-gtk3.so.440.44: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory
libnvidia-gtk3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory
libnvidia-gtk2.so.440.44: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory
libnvidia-gtk2.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

ERROR: A problem occured when loading the GUI library. Please check your
installation and library path. You may need to specify this library when
calling nvidia-settings. Please run /opt/nvidia/bin/nvidia-settings --help for usage information."

Wow :3 I made a workaround by myself finding helpful posts on the web. So command:

sudo /opt/nvidia/bin/nvidia-settings -I /opt/nvidia/lib/libnvidia-gtk3.so.440.44

should open the nvidia-settings menu, yey

But it is just a workaround. How to fix those paths ? To have nvidia-setting in apps and to be able to use just command nvidia-setting ?

As I suggested, you need to add /opt/nvidia/bin to your PATH.
For the problem with the library, did you configured /etc/ld.so.conf and like in the tutorial?

It’s hard to confess, but for me you have to wirte step by step how to do stuff xD

How to add /opt/nvidia/bin to your PATH ? Which path ?
And also I did everything like in the tutorial (this one, that I mentioned).

I found that with “/etc/ld.so.conf” in tutorial :

“echo “include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf” | sudo tee --append /etc/ld.so.conf
sudo mkdir /etc/ld.so.conf.d
printf “/opt/nvidia/lib \n/opt/nvidia/lib32 \n” | sudo tee --append /etc/ld.so.conf.d/nvidia.conf”

PATH is an environment variable. You can add
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/nvidia/bin to the end of your .bashrc or .zshrc.

If you correctly configure ldd by following the tutorial, you shouldn’t see the error message. Have you also run sudo ldconfig?

Yes, everything exactly like in the tutorial, and also I was reinstating it once again.

Well. I did uninstall, cleaning, pre_install, install and post_install and got the same situatin, no changes.

Same two warnings until installation:

WARNING: Unable to determine the default library path. The path /opt/nvidia/lib will be used, but this path was not detected in the ldconfig(8) cache, and no directory exists at this path, so it is likely that libraries installed there will not be found by the loader.
WARNING: Unable to determine the default X library path. The path /opt/nvidia/lib will be used, but this path was not detected in the ldconfig(8) cache, and no directory exists at this path, so it is likely that libraries installed there will not be found by the loader.

I took it from install log.

So still same situation, no nvidia utilities and shortcuts.