No Sound On Install

Hello. I just installed CL on my laptop with Intel sound card. Pavucontrol is showing headphones plugged in (they aren’t) and speakers unavailable. I’ve run numerous distros on this machine and never had this issue before.

00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family HD Audio Controller (rev 31)

kernel 5.1.5-770.native kernel installed and appropriate modules appear to be loaded.

Any suggestions?

If you have a DP or HDMI output, it may have selected that output by default. Try looking at the last tab in pavucontrol and selecting a different output.

I’ve also encountered a few times that I had to run sudo udevadm trigger before sound started working, but, if you’ve rebooted already once, that shouldn’t change anything.

Last resort you can check volume levels with pavucontrol or alsamixer.

Thanks, as I indicated, pavucontrol is showing headphones plugged in and speakers unavailable for some weird reason. I verified that the configuration wasn’t set to HDMI just in case. I’m stumped at the moment.

Ok, turned out it was a hardware issue that just happened to occur concurrent with installing CL. The headphone jack had a small piece of dirt or something in it making the machine think headphones were plugged in. I booted with a Fedora live image and saw the exact same issue which made me look to the hardware.

Thanks again for the help, really odd that it happened just as I installed a new OS, but these things happen I suppose.

I’ve seen weirder things! Enjoy your audio :slight_smile:

Hey same stuff happening with my device sound comes and goes says speakers unavailable
and headphones pluggedin when i plug in headphones its ok and plays sound sometime
weird also says microphone plugged in how do I fix this when I use pavucontrol or alsamixernothing works even when I put pulse control speakers are still unavailable

sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
I used this and weirdly worked

2 Likes

Hi, everybody! I have installed Clear Linux nearly half a year ago and liked it very much. This is realy fast!

But, despite that my Asus c302c has Intel sound, I was not being able to make it work:

$ lspci -nnk | grep -A3 Audio
00:1f.3 Multimedia audio controller [0401]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio [8086:9d70] (rev 21)
DeviceName: Multimedia audio controller
Kernel driver in use: snd_soc_skl
Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel, snd_soc_skl, snd_soc_avs, snd_sof_pci_intel_skl

$ aplay -l
aplay: device_list:274: no soundcards found…

I think there must be some firmware udate. Any ideas?