Performance results that don't even seem possible

I’ve been comparing performance on a machine between Windows 10 and Clear Linux. It’s the same hardware, an older i7, not overclocked.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790
Mem: 32gig
Solid state drive

I did fresh installs of Windows 10 and Clear, and optimized performance mode for Win10.

I suspected some performance differences within reason and Geekbench shows that:

(Higher is better)

Geekbench 5 Windows 10

Single Core: 942
Multi-Core: 3641

Geekbench 5 Clear Linux

Single Core: 1041
Multi-Core: 3933
Slight difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Geekbench 4 Windows 10

Single Core: 4311
Multi-Core: 14971

Geekbench 5 Clear Linux

Single Core: 4807
Multi-Core: 16124

None of these results surprised me, and fit within what I would expect for software only optimizations.

However, the next thing I did was a Blender Render of a BMW, a popular test of machines. Here’s where the difference was so vast I am suspect of it.

Under Windows 10:
Time to render: 13:31.21
blender-windows

Under Clear Linux:
Time to render: 05:49.88
blender

They were both CPU renders, and I ran it several times to see if it was a fluke, and it appears in this use case clear Linux renders this in far less than half the time. Is that even possible? Has anyone else seen results like this?

3 Likes

Maybe Windows falls back to AVX instead to use AVX2 ? Tried with swap off in Windows ? Is Windows power setting balance or max ? Is Defender disabled ? Many things can make Windows 10 run slow, thats why I use Windows 2019 which removes a lot of clutter.

You could be right about AVX. Power setting is set to max and the swap is set to a static size, defender is disabled.

Windows 10 has generally been a pretty good performer on this machine, I was just shocked to see so much discrepancy in it. This calls for some more tests I think!

Clear Linux for the win!

2 Likes

Did you do a dual-boot install and if so, which method did you use?

I know it is off topic, but I am trying to figure out how to dual-boot install CL and windows 10, and all the threads about it are pretty cryptic.

@Yfarkashh, welcome to the Clear Linux forums. Have a look at this document:

https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/latest/tutorials/multi-boot/dual-boot-win.html