Plex Server Installation

Hello everyone,
I was wanting to run Plex Server on my Clear desktop, but Clear is not a distribution offered from Plex.
Would installing the Fedora version work?

Thank you much,
Bill

Hello Bill,

Welcome to the forum.

You might have a look at installing the Plex Media Player using Flatpak :

https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/latest/tutorials/flatpak.html

The server needs a different approach.

2 Likes

@eadams might have some tips for you

1 Like

The plex team publishes a container for this, works great: Docker

2 Likes

I run mine as a container and it works great and gives me a little more isolation from other services than if I ran directly on the host. You can install the containers-basic bundle to get docker installsudo swupd bundle-add containers-basic Then you need to start docker sudo systemctl start docker and if you want Docker to start every time you reboot run sudo systemctl enable docker.

I like the linuxserver/plex container image but plex has an official one as well. You can even do HW transcoding in your container if you pass in your graphics card. Your docker command will look something like the following. You can probably avoid the net=host if you specify every port directly. Pass in your /dev/dri as a device if you want to do HW transcoding. This is what works for an Intel integrated GPU and I assume for others as well. If you go to Docker hub and find this image you can read details on all the different configuration options.

docker run -d --name=plex --restart=always --net=host -e VERSION=latest  -e UMASK=000 -e PUID=1000 -e PGID=1000 --device /dev/dri:/dev/dri -v /pathonhosttoconfig:/config -v /pathonhosttotv:/tv -v /pahthonhosttomovies:/movies -v /pathtoplexdirectoryfortranscoding/transcode:/transcode -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro linuxserver/plex
3 Likes

Thank you all so much for your help.
That Docker solution sounds perfect.

All the best,
Bill

2 Likes