Samba crashes regularly

Dear All,
I’m experiencing quite a lot of instabilities on Clear Linux nowadays.
I just experienced the following crash today:

<27>Nov 26 20:45:40 smbd[1197]: INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11: Segmentation fault in pid 1197 (4.13.2)

With the following message a bit later:
If you are running a recent Samba version, and if you think this problem is not yet fixed in the latest versions, please consider reporting this bug, see https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Bug_Reporting

Am I the only one in this situation?
I’m just wondering if I must stay with this distribution or change to another one.

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

You don’t have to stay with any distribution…

For sure I’m not tied to any distribution.

Wouldn’t recommend CL for samba. Something a little more mainstream and handsy with the wins community would be better. Or something truly multipurpose, like debian. Or an appliance. Unless your running it with distributed CEPH on top of k8s or something – this model works fine on CL btw.

That is one mighty combo there.

:smiley: Yep, I can imagine, it can be fun.
But in my case, I’m just trying to have a simple home server. So I’m not playing in the same backyard.

But in fact, I think I just have a problem with the power supply… :frowning:

For a simple home server I would recommend debian or ubuntu depending on your experience level. Or if you are looking to set and forget go with centos8.

1 Like

Even better are some of these appliances like openmediavault (debian) or freenas/truenas (freebsd)

Thanks for the advice. The thing is that these OpenMediaVault, FreeNAS, Ubuntu, Debian, are quite bloated with plenty of things you can’t really remove.
I’ve tested them all, but was not satisfied.
I want to start with something quite clean and lean. Therefore I still think Clear Linux is a good candidate.
For sure I could got with OpenWrt, but they are a bit behind regarding the kernel version.
Anyway, I still need to test some other configurations.
Thanks again for taking your time to reply.

for really simple home server, that only supports file sharing, media casting, or background downloading, you can just use openwrt on a good router

Yes, you’re right. That’s what I had before.
However, I also want to be able to run virtual machines.

I think the problem is not the software currently. It’s mostly the hardware that does not sustain the load.