Swupd auto update consuming 100 percent cpu for 12 hours

swupd has been maxing out one core at 3,8 GHz for over 12 hours now, since about 08.12 local time when i booted the computer.

Everything has been working great for about 6 months on my Dell XPS 9360.
swupd info shows version 30790.
sudo journalctl | grep -i swupd shows nothing unusual.

How do I figure out what’s going on? I can’t find any logs or output…

If you can, run

sudo strace -p `pgrep swupd`

and see what it is doing. Even better if you gdb it and get a stack trace. I would recommend filing a bug on github as well.

Thanks!

The strace command shows these three lines over and over about 10 times per second:
rt_sigaction(SIGPIPE, NULL, {sa_handler=SIG_IGN, sa_mask=, sa_flags=SA_RESTORER, sa_restorer=0x7fe200ddd1c0}, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGPIPE, {sa_handler=SIG_IGN, sa_mask=, sa_flags=SA_RESTORER, sa_restorer=0x7fe200ddd1c0}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGPIPE, {sa_handler=SIG_IGN, sa_mask=, sa_flags=SA_RESTORER, sa_restorer=0x7fe200ddd1c0}, NULL, 8) = 0

I don’t have gdb installed, and can’t install anything while swupd is running, so I’m kind of stuck when it comes to gdb.

Any other outputs I should add to the bug report?

Hi,
Can you also report the problem in the swupd github? Issues · clearlinux/swupd-client · GitHub

I’m going to take a look at this issue. Thank you very much for the report.

We found out a problem on swupd that could get into a loop if you had connection problems while downloading files.
Did you try to restart swupd and try to update again? Let me know if it worked for you or if you reached the same problem again.

I have reported the issue in the swupd github.

Since swupd never finished, I rebooted the computer after which a manual sudo swupd update worked fine.

Might very well have been the connection bug, because my internet connection is pretty shaky. Thanks for all the input!

It looks like a fix was made. GitHub Link for reference: