Unit systemd-boot-system-token.service failed

I noticed when running ‘systemctl status’ that the system state was ‘degraded’.

It turns out the service ‘systemd-boot-system-token.service’ had failed.

The error is reported as follows:

● systemd-boot-system-token.service - Store a System Token in an EFI Variable
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-boot-system-token.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2019-10-28 14:17:43 GMT; 2min 49s ago
    Docs: man:systemd-boot-system-token.service(8)
Process: 348 ExecStart=/usr/bin/bootctl random-seed (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 348 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Oct 28 14:17:43 pythagoras systemd[1]: Starting Store a System Token in an EFI Variable...
Oct 28 14:17:43 pythagoras bootctl[348]: Couldn't find EFI system partition. It is recommended to mount it to /boot or /efi.
Oct 28 14:17:43 pythagoras bootctl[348]: Alternatively, use --esp-path= to specify path to mount point.
Oct 28 14:17:43 pythagoras systemd[1]: systemd-boot-system-token.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Oct 28 14:17:43 pythagoras systemd[1]: systemd-boot-system-token.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Oct 28 14:17:43 pythagoras systemd[1]: Failed to start Store a System Token in an EFI Variable.

Sure enough, /boot is not mounted on my system. I’m not sure if this is intended to be auto-mounted in Clear Linux. I don’t have an /etc/fstab, so the partitions mounted are whatever was configured by default by the installer. I have not changed any configuration related to partitions.

This is normal. On Clear Linux OS, the boot partition is only mounted when needed, and it is unmounted right after again.

I’ll look at this - it’s certainly useful and we want this functionality to work - we may have to modify it to mount/unmount /boot on demand.