Want to install but errors

Hi All, wanting to do the install on my existing Mint 19 box. ran the check scripts and got this:

tom@mint-19:~$ ./clear-linux-check-config.sh host
Checking if host is capable of running Clear Linux* OS

SUCCESS: 64-bit CPU (lm)
SUCCESS: Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (ssse3)
SUCCESS: Streaming SIMD Extensions v4.1 (sse4_1)
SUCCESS: Streaming SIMD Extensions v4.2 (sse4_2)
SUCCESS: Advanced Encryption Standard instruction set (aes)
SUCCESS: Carry-less Multiplication extensions (pclmulqdq)
FAIL: EFI firmware

and this

Checking if host is capable of running Clear Linux* OS in a container

SUCCESS: 64-bit CPU (lm)
SUCCESS: Supplemental Streaming SIMD Extensions 3 (ssse3)
SUCCESS: Streaming SIMD Extensions v4.1 (sse4_1)
SUCCESS: Streaming SIMD Extensions v4.2 (sse4_2)
SUCCESS: Advanced Encryption Standard instruction set (aes)
SUCCESS: Carry-less Multiplication extensions (pclmulqdq)
SUCCESS: Virtualisation support (vmx)
SUCCESS: Kernel module kvm
SUCCESS: Kernel module kvm_intel
FAIL: Nested KVM support

So, should I just shoot it?

tom@mint-19:~$ lscpu
Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 4
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-3
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 2
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 60
Model name: Intel® Core™ i3-4370 CPU @ 3.80GHz
Stepping: 3
CPU MHz: 3772.917
CPU max MHz: 3800.0000
CPU min MHz: 800.0000
BogoMIPS: 7600.73
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 32K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 256K
L3 cache: 4096K
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0-3
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 sdbg fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm cpuid_fault epb invpcid_single pti tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid xsaveopt dtherm arat pln pts

I think it’s a Haswell. Has 16GB RAM and lot of disk available.

Reboot. Press the BOOT MENU button on your keyboard. Select UEFI: <USB STICK NAME> entry. do NOT select an entry labeled without UEFI.

You can mostly ignore this error. These are relevant when you run in containers or VMs, and limit the capabilities of your VM. These tests are invalid for bare metal installations.

OK, back to the grind. I thought I knew something about Linux general usage but now I have been corrected.

I tried to run the linux setup. this is a very plain jane linux mint box. defaults install. so I ran the command: ~/Desktop/Downloads# dd if=./clear-361030 -of=/media/tom/USB STICK -oflag=sync bs=4M status=progress
dd: invalid option – ‘o’

OK,. so try it like this:
/Desktop/Downloads# dd if=./clear-361030 of=/media/tom/USB STICK oflag=sync bs=4M
status=progress
dd: unrecognized operand ‘STICK’

so:
dd if=./clear-31030-live-desktop.iso of=/media/tom/USB oflag=sync bs=4M status=progress
dd: failed to open ‘./clear-31030-live-desktop.iso’: No such file or directory

Huh???
turns out I typo’d the command once right at first. it created an empty file named D0wnloads with the zero. dang. tried again more carefully:
/home/tom/Desktop/Downloads
root@mint-19:~/Desktop/Downloads# dd if=./clear-31030-live-desktop.iso of=/media/tom/USB oflag=sync bs=4M status=progress
2394947584 bytes (2.4 GB, 2.2 GiB) copied, 7 s, 342 MB/s
642+1 records in
642+1 records out
2693218304 bytes (2.7 GB, 2.5 GiB) copied, 7.88541 s, 342 MB/s
root@mint-19:~/Desktop/Downloads#
/home/tom/Desktop/Downloads
root@mint-19:~/Desktop/Downloads# dd if=./clear-31030-live-desktop.iso of=/media/tom/USB oflag=sync bs=4M status=progress
2394947584 bytes (2.4 GB, 2.2 GiB) copied, 7 s, 342 MB/s
642+1 records in
642+1 records out
2693218304 bytes (2.7 GB, 2.5 GiB) copied, 7.88541 s, 342 MB/s
root@mint-19:~/Desktop/Downloads#

It took awhile and I saw the progress. trouble is the output file is nowhere to be found.

can anybody here parse out this command line to see where it went? I’m pretty sure it got created but I’ll be damned if I can find it. I was user sudo -s so it ran as root. Is that my mistake?

Good thot: Constructive criticism is welcome, but criticize ideas , not people

The dd command will take an in file and write it to the outfile. The case that worked for you, dd if=./clear-31030-live-desktop.iso of=/media/tom/USB, took the in file, the 31030 version desktop iso, and wrote it to the location provided, /media/tom/USB. This is operating on the assumption that your usb storage is mounted to the location /media/tom/USB. It seems to me that the operation succeeded, but that doesn’t mean it did anything but write to that location.

Commonly, USB storage devices mount to the location /dev/sdx where x is not previously used. The other common location would be the media location. That seems to be what you have, but I don’t know Linux Mint standard practice is after that.

You can check where the usb is connected by using the command lsblk. Find the name correlating to your USB storage and check the MOUNTPOINT on that row. This will be where you would want to point to with the of.

Going forward, I think the best option would be to verify that the location is the mount point for your storage. If not, I would retry the command with the of being the mount location.

nsgnn, thanks for taking time.

my usb stick auto-mounts as
sdd 8:48 1 29.8G 0 disk
└─sdd1 8:49 1 29.8G 0 part /media/tom/USB STICK

that dd command doesn’t seem to like the space between USB and STICK

I got an error "unrecognized operand ‘STICK’ "

Any bright ideas?

I still haven’t found where it put whatever it was it wrote. maybe it went to /dev/null.

Ahh now I get what it was. Your of has a space in it. You have to put quotes around it. It is reading of=/media/tom/USB and STICK separate. This is causing the unrecognized operand issue.
example would be ``[…] of="/media/tom/USB STICK […]"

That will be it. I just couldn’t dredge it up out of memory. I tried to google it but was in a mildly vegetative state at the time and couldn’t get it.

Thank you nsgnn.

1 Like