Won't start after last update

Same problem with 5.3.10-867, 5.3.8-854 works correctly

Hi @Piero_Simonetto,
Could you please open a new issue on github and reference the old one? There’s obviously something we’re not catching here.

Could you also note if the 5.3.9 kernel that was working for the other person worked for you?

Hello
Not sure if it’s exactly the same problem as i have a Ryzen 1700, Radeon RX560 and Asus Prime M350-A MB. I too can boot without problem with 5.3.8.854 , but 5.3.8.859 and subsequent kernels (when i updated ) resulted in a black screen and reboot of the PC.

Ok here it is: Kernel version 5.3.8-867.native don't boot · Issue #1487 · clearlinux/distribution · GitHub

1 Like

Warm reboot will fail, example if you use ‘reboot’ in terminal to reboot the system. But if you shutdown the system totally and cold boot the system up, it will boot successfully. I tested on both clear-linux-native-5.3.11-868 and clear-linux-native-5.3.10-687. I suspect some clean up not done properly before clear linux reboot the system in warm boot mode.

1 Like

Previous behavior with newer kernels has been as described in bug https://github.com/clearlinux/distribution/issues/1486
The latest kernel 5.3.11-868 failed this morning from a “cold boot” when i switched on the PC. Is your system AMD based ?

Yes my pc is amd based it’s a rayzen 5 2500u processor

@Piero_Simonetto Sorry I knew you had a AMD system :slightly_smiling_face:
I was replying to @hong.wei.phang , when he said that he was able to boot with kernel 5.3.11-868.

my system is intel cpu。

@Piero_Simonetto On my machine native.5.3.11-869 is booting correctly :+1:

2 Likes

Yes works in my computer too, thanks

clear-linux-native-5.3.11-869 (31670) still not working on my Intel machine.

@hong.wei.phang It would appear to be another error not related to using a AMD cpu ?
I have upgraded my old laptop (intel Broadwell cpu) to clear-linux-native-5.3.11-869 (31670) and it boots fine.
Also i am unclear as to your problem, was native-5.3.10-687 working and now native-5.3.11-869 is not ?
To avoid confusion as this thread is marked solved, perhaps you should create a new one ?

Both releases native-5.3.10-687 and native-5.3.11-869 not working on my system. My system is X299 AORUS Gaming Pro with American Megatrends BIOS, BIOS version is F4h.

Updated my system BIOS to FCh, native-5.3.11-869 now working on my system is working. Thanks.

1 Like

@hong.wei.phang I understood from the above statement that native-5.3.10-687 booted sucessfully after a “cold boot” ? and native-5.3.11-869 does not work with this method ?

@ahkok Could you help this guy ? I have some experience with Linux, but i’m a “Clear” newbie :slightly_smiling_face:

Glad to hear the BIOS update solved your problem :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I also have a problem booting since last update to 17800 (is that the right version ?). Haden’t reboot for a while though so i can’t really tell what happen.

I have an Intel NUC (8th gen, core i5, 32Go RAM) and everything was fine until this morning. I get a black screen with only the mouse pointer before I get to log screen. I tried hitting space to get to bootloader but it’s not working for me right now (is it my wireless keyboard ?).

Thanks for your help, i’ll check if there is a new BIOS update, but last one was something like a month ago …

@gridaz - if you haven’t seen the other postings on the forum, there was an issue with the updated Mesa drivers in 31800 that have caused problems for several users similar to what you’re seeing. It should be now fixed in 31810 if you can update to that.

Hi pixelgeek, I used the workaround found in the other discussion, it worked well yesterday and i finally updated this morning, everything is back to normal. Thanks for your help and everyone else’s.
Cheers

1 Like