iPXE booting and installation to a SD Card

Hi just started playing around with Clear Linux, great work!

A couple of suggestions so far

(1) I carried out the initial install via an iPXE script this works well BUT I had to go to the trouble of setting up a Web Server to enable iPXE to download the Kernel and Initrd, could you also host the “initrd” and “linux” kernel somewhere on your website in addition to the .xz file containing these please?

Maybe something like clearlinux.org/ipxe/initrd and clearlinux.org/ipxe/linux which could be links to the latest Kernel and initrd?

This way a iPXE script would always work and then download the latest Kernel and initrd

(2) To install Clearlinux I created a USB stick EFI installer running iPXE installing onto a Intel NUC7CPYH which has an SD Card slot, my initial plan was to boot iPXE from the USB stick then install to a cheap $5 SD Card

The first issue I had was Clearlinux after being PXE booted from a USB stick would install onto the USB stick instead of the SD Card even if I selected the SD Card as storage, well at least it would never boot from the SD Card

I then decided to remove the SD Card and boot from my iPXE USB stick, then unplug the USB stick and insert a Blank USB stick for the installation

Quite a few Intel NUC’s have SD Card slots which makes for a low cost solution if you can boot from it, could you investigate this please?

Thanks!

Did you try to use the installer image (Live Desktop) to install to the SD Card?

Hi Miguel,

I have not tried the Live CD yet but I will to test the SD Card boot support

I remember that we had some issues a few years ago with SD Card support for our ThinLinX TLXOS installer on Intel NUCs

I will check with our developers, might have been related to a obscure Kernel config issue that is needed for the Intel NUC SD Card interface

We have worked on and off at times with the Intel NUC team in Portland for about five years now

We have been testing an optional iPXE installer for our own TLXOS that can easily present a menu of any Linux OS choice for installation including Clearlinux of course :grinning:

The iPXE .EFI image is less than 1MB, on boot up a web hosted menu is presented where the user just selects the OS to install, even BSD or Windows can be installed this way

I would ultimately like to see a easy to use Clearlinux graphical installer appear on iPXE network booted Intel devices, you no doubt already have this on your live CD

Debian has a nice graphical installer that appears when carrying out an iPXE boot install of Debian

At the moment Clearlinux network install just boots into a command prompt…

Next up I have to convince the Intel NUC BIOS team to add an iPXE secondary boot loader to the BIOS which appears when a user presses F10 on boot up

John

I have not tried the Live CD yet but I will to test the SD Card boot support

I remember that we had some issues a few years ago with SD Card support for our ThinLinX TLXOS installer on Intel NUCs

Just ask for it, and we will add it.

Currently in another post someone ask to boot from SD and we enable the
missing kernel driver.

I will check with our developers, might have been related to a obscure Kernel config issue that is needed for the Intel NUC SD Card interface

We can help you to find the missing one.

I would ultimately like to see a easy to use Clearlinux graphical installer appear on iPXE network booted Intel devices, you no doubt already have this on your live CD

Debian has a nice graphical installer that appears when carrying out an iPXE boot install of Debian

To track your request, please request it
at: Sign in to GitHub · GitHub