Mozilla Firefox broke

Hi All;

I’ve had problems with Firefox on my USB install media where it opens but does all kinds of funky things, like opens fully but plain white with no menu or buttons like close. And after installing Clear OS on my PC it does the same.

I went to the Software and installed it from there but it didn’t replace the original. So now when I need to start Firefox I have to go into Software>Installed>Search>Firefox>Open in order to get it to function properly. Once it’s opened I can click on the Firefox launcher icon in the system tray and it will show the open page in Firefox properly.

Question: How can I remove the original Firefox that came with the Clear Linux install as it’s not functional from the launch tray and how do I get to Firefox without going through the Software app to open it?

Thanks

Hi All;

I fixed the problem by removing the Firefox launcher and pinned a new Firefox launcher from the Software>Installed>Search>Firefox location and now it works. I decided to try the XFCE desktop and Firefox has the same problem where the launcher fails to load Firefox properly, it comes up but unusable. I tried launching it from the cli and got the following:
ATTENTION: default value of option mesa_glthread overridden by environment.
*** MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DISABLE is deprecated; use MESA_SHADER_CACHE_DISABLE instead ***
[Parent 1606, Main Thread] WARNING: Unable to connect to ibus: Could not connect: Connection refused: ‘glib warning’, file /builds/worker/checkouts/gecko/toolkit/xre/nsSigHandlers.cpp:167

(firefox:1606): IBUS-WARNING **: 14:59:33.240: Unable to connect to ibus: Could not connect: Connection refused
[2023-01-08T14:59:33Z ERROR glean_core::metrics::ping] Invalid reason code startup for ping background-update
[2023-01-08T14:59:36Z ERROR viaduct::backend::ffi] Missing HTTP status
[2023-01-08T14:59:36Z ERROR viaduct::backend::ffi] Missing HTTP status

So I went to the application finder and was able to launch Firefox from there.

Hope this helps anyone with similar experiences.

1 Like

That’s a workaround, not a fix. You’re using the Flatpak version.