No Sound Intel Skylake Chromebook

Hi, everyone!
There is no sound in Asus Chromebook c302c notebook. During the installation an error of missing topology for the sound circuits occurred. I believe it is hardware specific issue.

From the output of

sudo dmesg | grep firmware

it appears that several firmware files have failed to load, including the firmware for the sound card. Specifically, the following lines indicate that the firmware files

snd_soc_skl 0000:00:1f.3: Direct firmware load for 9d70-INTEL-SCRDMAX-0-tplg.bin failed with error -2
snd_soc_skl 0000:00:1f.3: Direct firmware load for skl_n88l25_m98357a-tplg.bin failed with error -2
snd_soc_skl 0000:00:1f.3: Direct firmware load for dfw_sst.bin failed with error -2

Sound on Skylake · Issue #379 · GalliumOS/galliumos-distro · GitHub here the working solutions foir Ubuntu based distros.
https://github.com/thesofproject/avs-topology-xml/issues/11 another effort to solve the issue.
Intel's Rewritten Audio Driver "AVS" Begins Landing In Linux 5.19 - Phoronix the work is in progress since Linux 5.19

Thumb up! It’s important!

Chromebooks aren’t a targeted focus for Clear Linux. Clear Linux is aimed at Cloud and Data Center environments.

1 Like

Oh, I don’t ask you to support every Chromebook, but this very laptop has the right sse 4.2 CPU and touchpad and touchscreen firmware already working! Why the sound card manufactured by Intel should not have the solution? Becides Google designed this laprop for using with cloud storage, isn’t it?

Edit: The skylake-driver as well as all its collaterals is deprecated in favour of the avs-driver . It’s recommended for end users of newer Linux kernel version to switch to the latter solution. See the main branch of this repository for information regarding topology files targeting the avs-driver.

So, how to do it? Should I make package request?

A package request would give us better tracking than a comment in the forum :slight_smile: I can’t guarantee it’ll get addressed, but maybe if the package is easy to incorporate…

1 Like

I made a request, please make sure everything is correct:

Thanks!

Salute, switching to the avs-driver requires one to modify modprobe options:

options snd_intel_dspcfg dsp_driver=4

Must I create this?

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf

or another .conf?

https://github.com/thesofproject/avs-topology-xml/issues/11#issuecomment-1456153460

sudo mkdir -p /etc/kernel/cmdline.d
echo "options snd_intel_dspcfg dsp_driver=4" | sudo tee /etc/kernel/cmdline.d/alsa.conf
sudo clr-boot-manager update
sudo reboot

Docs.

1 Like

Oh, did not see that because trying another solutions. So having installed audio script

and it is fine. Perhaps I can try your simple fix, if i could uninstall chromebook-linux-audio script…
…but I think this is not the ultimate, because the binary is to be downloaded and configs as well.
Anyway the problem is solved. And everything is working fine except ACPI events - sound is playing from the internal speakers when AUX is plugged in. But manually (from the Sound Settings) it is switched right as to the Headphones.

Edit: Now it is working after manual selection and if unplugged the internal speakers are playing (without manual selection back to the internal speakers) Yes. Sound is back!

1 Like

And, nevertheless, Clear Linux is the best OS among all others because it is Bare Metal without any additional functions or modules… which is critical because of eMMC storage bottlenecks.

1 Like