Rstudio server bundle execution using docker image?

I tried the docker image of clearlinux/machine-learning-ui as a data science beginner, because CL is the best for hi-performance computing. I was very impressed with the speed of R analysis(matrix calculation) of CL.

However, I realized a problem of rstudio-server using docker. I installed bundle of rstudio-server using swupd, but I can’t start rstudio-server by swupd. There was qt-error and, “rsudio-server start” doesn’t work.
This is what I typed:

docker run -it -p 8787:8787 clearlinux   
swupd bundle-add R-rstudio-server
rstudio  

results:

qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display 
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: eglfs, linuxfb, minimal, minimalegl, offscreen, vnc, wayland-egl, wayland, wayland-xcomposite-egl, wayland-xcomposite-glx, xcb.

Aborted

I would be grateful if someone with experience could help me about executing rstudio-server using docker.

have you ever run rstudio-server before?
first, you need to start the rstudio service systemctl start rstudio-server
second, it doesn’t have a front end, you need to use the web UI.

Thanks for kind reply. :grinning:

I tried your script after install “swupd bundle-add R-rstudio-server”

I got messages:

System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.
Failed to connect to bus: Host is down

I tried reboot system using reboot command, however I got similar messages:

System has not been booted with systemd as init system (PID 1). Can't operate.
Failed to connect to bus: Host is down
Failed to talk to init daemon.

Thanks in advance for any help.

try ubuntu - Docker System has not been booted with systemd as init system - Stack Overflow

Thanks for your link.

1. systemctl, service, dockerd and the other methods didn’t work in docker CL (not Ubuntu).

2. I tried to build a Dockerfile and inserted RUN swupd bundle-add R-rstudio-server, but it didn’t work because rstudio-server didn’t start.

3. systemd was activated by:

docker run -d  --name rserver --privileged clearlinux /sbin/init

and I run

docker exec --it rserver

But I can’t run swupd bundle-add R-rstudio-server because of a error.

Thanks in advance.

This doesn’t start the server. You still have to manually use systemctl to start it.

One good news is, you can locate the service file and see what’s the the “exec” entry. Then manually run it.