Clear linux on Btrfs

I have a 7 year old pc on which I tried Clear linux. Performance was fastest but the only issue I got was btrfs. As Btrfs is pretty fast on my HDD. I use btrfs-convert on my live boot and made Btrfs work but since it is not supported properly it fails to update kernel due to clr-boot-manager issues. But as a fact Btrfs was pretty fast I have a 24sec boot on EXT4, 19sec boot on XFS and 15sec boot on BTRFS. Not to mention opening times of every app is very fast on Btrfs. Is there any to way to fix Btrfs issues or get a more stable experience. Btw I used btrfs-convert and didn’t use fstab coz the result was the same due to clr’s automount.

Btw the issue the I am talking about it this.

I think at this point, booting off btrfs issues should be marked as “wont fix” so that users can make their decisions from there - different FS or different distro… .

It amazes me that “we’re not going to do what the users want” is considered a valid response for a community-driven project. There seems to be more and more of that in the Linux world over the past few years. Perhaps the devs have forgotten that they depend on having a large userbase to make their projects viable.

2 Likes

A fix to the reported issue was merged in June. Add support for non-ext filesystems by silkeh · Pull Request #238 · clearlinux/clr-boot-manager · GitHub
If you’re still having issues using btrfs, please provide details in a GitHub issue.

3 Likes

Sorry but, I`m trying to use root partition without success.

The clr-installer rejects btrfs partitions even following the required partitions layout and trying to use swupd os-install, it fails somehow.

How can I repeat the same effect of using a destructive mode, but using btrfs as root partition?

I also tried to install iso 3460 the installer validation rejects btrfs partition, I also tried to update swupd to 3540.

UPDATE: I think worked using btfrs-convert with live-iso