Opinion on moving to BTRFS

With Fedora moving to BTRFS and OpenSUSE using it as default for over a long time, what do Clear Linux devs think of BTRFS? I’ve seen serious performance improvements in my HDD (Yes, a harddrive) and the snapshot capabilities seem to be very useful for companies and users.

And I also found this one in the ‘wild’:

In short, they don’t seem to have extra capacity to add btrfs support.
But you can experiment yourself and submit PR if you succeed.

1 Like

That seems like an interesting experiment, might do this after finals…

1 Like

I am also very interested in this!

Also for ZFS.

1 Like
1 Like

ZFS for redundant storage, XFS / ext4 for anything else.

3 Likes

Changing the underlying filesystem is not an easy change to make and would require a lot of planning, testing and execution. We are not planning any such move in the immediate future.
The licensing on ZFS means that it is unlikely that we would ever be able to ship it with its current license in Clear Linux.
XFS is unlikely. If we did move, it would be more likely to shift to BTRFS, but that is not going to be anytime soon. We’ll keep an eye on the progress that Fedora makes with BTRFS though.

I am currently experimenting with NILFS :

It’s very snappy.

1 Like

F2FS borrowed some ideas from NILFS, and it shows in the benchmark.

Think i will stick with ext4.

1 Like

Even NILFS is more popular than ReiserFS these days…

Personally I would prefer to stick with EXT4.
For my particular use case, the features offered by BTRFS are not impactful enough to warrant sacrificing performance and stability.
EXT4 is solid and seems to perform better than BTRFS (from test results I’ve seen around the web).
Also, offering it as an option during installation will probably still require a lot of additional work from the team which is not necessarily a good thing.

4 Likes

Especially with options noatime,nodiratime,commit=10

Most benchmarks use just default settings without those options enabled.

For those who can’t decide on either ext4 or XFS, read this article.

2 Likes

My 2cents on moving to BTRFS. I have a BTRFS file system that I use with Clear Linux as Fedora 35. It is alright. Have tons of space. Of course boot time is slower because you have to link up 5 disks.

It doesn’t matter for me right now if Clear makes the switch or not. I have my Clear Installation and not enough HD slots left any way . I have 3 open slots left and I’d have to buy more hdd, but I can mount the Fedora 35 btrfs file system via /mnt and use it for storage. In ther long run theis would be a good idea, but having more native linux programs is a must… That way I can have tyhe programs on one system and run them from multiple kernels via /mnt like I am doing now.

In conclusion my opinion is: Yes.

Updating the psu input to 220 volt really makes a difference because of all the extra fans and hard drives that you chain to the psu work. I run the majority of the cooling off mobo via psu. BIOS can see that and control through psu. Much more efficient.

1 Like

Some speed improvements, lately :