How can we improve our installation experience?

I will test it and report back to you .

does this script need to be run time and again to get updated versions of packages it gets for me?

I need flashplayer plugin to run videos in firefox , VLC can not play many forms of videos for me

It checkout the latest stable release when you execute it. You can use cronie to run it periodically.

Flash player is deprecated for many years.

Chrome can’t be freely redistributed. Devs have said many times that they can’t formally include it, and they’re being quite nice by allowing us to post download scripts on the official forum. Idk about brave, but the situation seems similar.

I use a lot brave-browser,but I have somethimes issues like now when brave not startet and sometimes my system freeze.I dont know when this is happens while i use brave or not.
And here are another lack of software…still use only CL until now.

LTS versions for desktop.
Just like you do with kernel, it would be nice if you could allow user to select desktop enviroment version (LTS, latest lts or latest)

Because Desktop enviroments like KDE or GNOME change a lot from one version to the next, breaking things in the process, deprecating other things, removing features, adding new ones etc…

If a user choose ClearLinux as the OS for work or study, this user diserves stability.

Do you have examples for updates in desktop environment that are so breaking to make it hard to use?

As far as I know, minor updates rarely introduce breaking changes. And having some ‘LTS release’ for userspace applications implies users would not have security patches in time.

Kernel is different from userspace, that if it breaks on some hardware, it really makes it unusable. And that deserves some special caution. Also, unlike userspace applications who rarely have LTS releases, Linux kernel official have LTS release.

In my case, gnome 3.34 introduced problems with displaylink driver. Redrawing is not working, it needs an user input event in order to redraw windows.
I just downgraded my ClearLinux version to 31100 (the last one with gnome 3.32) and it’s working good now, (but I cant’ upgrade anything).
I’m sure they will fix the issue in gnome 3.36 or 3.38, but for now I can’t use my laptop with gnome 3.34, so, for me, desktop environment upgrade broke my things.

I happened to see similar issue to kitty terminal emulator. And that is a bug for the application running on GNOME instead of GNOME itself. So in your case it’s the responsibility of the displaylink driver, which is proprietary as I know.

So from the perspective of maintaining a distribution, GNOME doesn’t seem to be the culprit here and not updating it just in case some driver breaks is not very convincing.

Would Chromium be an acceptable compromise?

Definitely needs an option for full verbose output so people can report at what point of the installer they get stuck on and what it’s doing.

2 Likes

I have to say I love how performant Clear Linux is and now that I have found the forums and documentation, I have been able to get most nearly all of my software running and even coaxed my HP LaserJet into working with the help of this forum. It has been instrumental, so many thanks.

I therefore would suggest that both booting to the ISO image and the first boot after installation should have some sort of greeter with links to both the official documentation and the forum. It could give a brief rundown as to what is available in the official documentation including instructions for dual/multiboot. It should also explain that the forum has many community members that can provide assistance with installing the software that many users would use regularly including those not included in, or officially supported by Clear Linux.

3 Likes

@jaygambrel, I agree, that’s a great idea. In fact I didn’t realize that a Welcome Screen was missing. Many Linux distros have such a screen. Here is the Welcome Screen from Manjaro:

Manjaro Welcome Screen

Good idea !

With some nice image in the header :penguin:

The installer does log under /root and can be launched with an adjustable loglevel parameter. It tells you the log location if the installer crashes but maybe we need better documentation.

Echoing that this sounds like a good idea. Could you make a GitHub issue so it is tracked better? Issues · clearlinux/distribution · GitHub

Hey,
I just tried Clear and really like the idea/design. Usually I work in the data science/machine learning area and tried Clear because of its optimized Python stack (tensorflow, scipy, scikit-learn etc.). I work in the insurance/financial sector and thought about using Clear as development/container basis for our machine learning stuff.

However, I switched back to arch Linux mainly because of two things:
– no package for ffmpeg
– no package for property NVIDIA drivers.

IMHO it is quite a bad installation experience that you are ending up installing software from source without any maintenance/support from the package manager (like the two packages mentioned). In arch Linux for example, there is nvidia-dkms which gets updates by pacman.

Providing a bundle for common stuff that is already present in most distributions would really improve at least my installation experience.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. I have created issue #1680 to suggest and track this.

Jay

1 Like

Thank you, i really appreciate it!