How can we improve our installation experience?

That’s cryptic, what do you mean by that? You can’t because the codecs are commercial?

Intel can’t, and won’t play by the same rules that other companies apply when it comes to legal issues. There is not a lawyer in the world that will tell you to just do what everyone else does and don’t bother retaining them :).

That’s fine, I was just curious why I couldn’t just selectively add codecs and just watch my videos as normal. Have you considered whether or not to just give the user the choice over what they want to add and then leave the legal aspect in their hands? I doubt this issue is going to go away.

We originally never intended to want to support multiboot. For the longest time we didn’t have the option.

Only recently have we started to try and support it. But it’s hairy and since we don’t support grub, we’re in a bit of a mess - most distro’s are incompatible to begin with.

The reality is that you should likely not use the installer to do multiboot right now. You’re probably better off manually installing with swupd os-install in a lot of cases and using the other OS’s bootloader instead.

Are people working hard to try to improve this? Absolutely. Is it going to be flawless? Probably never, because of the amount of things making it difficult (LUKS, UEFI/MBR, grub, etc).

You already can. Just read the various forum threads on how to do this.

Do you mean the instructions to use the flatpak or something else? Would you mind linking me to what you meant?

Just browse Search results for 'codecs' - Clear Linux OS Forum. Sorry if I’m not being more specific here, many threads offer valuable solutions and I don’t want to promote one over another.

Kindly guide me how to do swupd os-install from my existing Arch Linux on a target blank mounted partition. If I could inocculate swup on that mounted target partition somehow then rest of the body of Clear Linux would be easy to build on top of that.

I think this might be what I need to think about

Tried command

swupd os-install /mnt --bundles=os-core,os-core-update,kernel-native --statedir=/mnt/var/lib/swupd

root@clr-live /home/clrlinux # swupd os-install /mnt --bundles=os-core,os-core-update,kernel-native
Error: unrecognized subcommand `os-install’

Usage:

but it seems that os-install is missing from repositories.

So how to try this method you suggested?

It’s supposed to work, I’m wondering if there’s an order issue here, but in any case, the documentation is not complete enough for me to answer this right here right now, so I’ve opened an issue for this and I’ll try and relay an answer in here as soon as I can:

The only thing we (swupd team included) can think of is that your live image is too old. Can you try downloading and trying with a new image (31800+) ?

1 Like

Ah :frowning: I downloaded an ISO which can boot on legacy mode since latest ISO does not boot on my laptop , I will download latest ISO and try on my other laptop

Could it be possible to have a small ISO? Downloading an ISO of around 2+ GB for the task I want to is too big

with the latest available ISO I was able to run the command above and download packages required.

root@clr-live/home/clrlinux # swupd os-install /mnt --bundles=os-core,os-core-update,kernel-native --statedir=/mnt/var/lib/swupd
Warning: /mnt//usr/share/clear/versionstamp does not exist!
Installing OS version 31960 (latest)

Downloading missing manifests…

Downloading packs (132.49 MB) for:

• os-core-plus
  • findutils
  • p11-kit
  • os-core-webproxy
  • qemu-guest-additions
  • libstdcpp
  • libglib
  • linux-firmware-extras
  • hardware-uefi
  • syslinux
  • bootloader
  • linux-firmware
  • os-core
  • os-core-update
  • kernel-native
    [100%]

Finishing packs extraction…

Checking for corrupt files
[100%]

Validate downloaded files
[100%]

No extra files need to be downloaded
[100%]

Installing base OS and selected bundles
[100%]

Inspected 15603 files
11255 files were missing
11255 of 11255 missing files were installed
0 of 11255 missing files were not installed

Calling post-update helper scripts

Installation successful

will chroot into the partition from arch linux and test if I can install more packages/bundles from there or not.

Can you give me a one liner command to install a running desktop from the above one command please?

##################################################

EDIT :smile:

ok my Clear Linux OS from the above trick is up and running, need little combing out to make it look like the one coming from factory ( I need to write and how to for others )

root@clr-dac78800ca8742d08f6b1040103fd51c~ # hostnamectl
Static hostname: home-pc
Icon name: computer-laptop
Chassis: laptop
Machine ID: dac78800ca8742d08f6b1040103fd51c
Boot ID: ed08f6188ee94d3c92bc8d024419034e
Operating System: Clear Linux OS
Kernel: Linux 5.4.5-882.native
Architecture: x86-64

3 Likes

I consider this distribution to be one of the best, but installer is no support f2fs file system for root
I also want to live image have with ipmitool
BR Denis ADC EMEA Team :slight_smile:

sudo swupd bundle-add desktop-autostart

This is under consideration. You can comment in this github thread here if you have additional info:

So audio Video codecs are not going to work on Clear Linux in any case? Till now I have failed to play any video with both VLC and totem.

This is incorrect. First, many codecs already work. There are only 2 or 3 codecs that are not working out of the box. For each of those, we have future plans to make them work, and, you can yourself install them through other means (compile, flatpak, etc.).

Does this help?
https://community.clearlinux.org/t/bash-script-to-add-h-264-support-for-firefox

1 Like