Installation Help

Can you set up a home partition on Clear Linux? In your Installation Guide you do not mention a home partition or how to mount one. It show to set a 256 MiB swap, I have 8 GiB of ram, what size swap should I need? I have 56 GiB to use on a SSD What would be a good size for, boot, swap, root, home?

Thank You

I would use the default install options and not change anything unless you have a specific reason for doing it.

You can have a separate home partition but do not need to. You can either create and mount it yourself after installation (e.g. /etc/fstab) or through the installer using the label CLR_MNT_HOME.

Swap is not a desirable behavior. Some subscribe to the philosophy of not having a /swap partition at all. Our engineers have seen the memory management behaves more fairly if there is a small swap space though. Unless you see data pointing to the need for more swap space, I would leave it.

Thank you. I have windows on this pc so I need to set up the partitions so would.
150 MiB CLR_BOOT
256 MiB CLR_SWAP
35 GiB CLR_ROOT
20 GiB CLR_MNT_HOME
be ok?

@wilburns, I like Clear Linux very much and use it where ever I can, but honestly dual-booting with Clear Linux is not supported as well as some other Linux distributions. If you need to dual-boot with Windows, I would not suggest using Clear Linux unless you are an advanced Linux user. There are several articles with quite detailed dual-booting installation instructions in this forum, you will find them with a search.

I’am dual booting fedora 31 now, just have to press f9 at boot up. I assume clear linux would the same?
Thank You

Hello and welcome to the forums @wilburns.

Take a look at Intel’s recommended partition scheme in the documentation and as of writing this it doesn’t differ for server or desktop installation. As you can see we’re assigning most of the disk space to the root partition which means /home will automatically inherit the available disk space. However you could follow the guidelines for advanced installation and make up your own partition scheme.

Generally the rule of thumb is to have a small partition for offloading from ram, 256 MiB is enough in most scenarios but you might want to consider adding more if your workload is heavily memory specific, e.g: if you like to have a lot of browser tabs open. Some people might recommend to turn swap off but the OS actually behaves differently in some APIs with/without swap in a not so good way, check MADV_FREE in the kernel documentation for more information. To elaborate on that depending on kernel versions you get wonk behavior and allowing a tiny bit of swap gives the kernel space to move memory around much easier. On side note, Zswap is a possible alternative but it doesn’t play very nicely with low amounts of memory (sub 1G).

In summary, if your concern is having as much disk space as possible then the default scheme should suit you well. I hope this answers your questions!

Edit://I meant to post this originally yesterday evening but the power cut out. My reply might not be relevant since other people already answered the question but I’m posting it anyway since it was saved in the browser :slight_smile:

If you run lsblk +o with some options (man lsblk for the options) , you will discover that ClearLinux has allocated it’s setup files. There is no entry for CSL’s files in a /etc/fstab.
If you logged in, then your logon is withiin /home/yourlogonid. I believe that /home is usually 2 to 4x the size of / . In effect, I am describing my own desktop installation