Installing Brave Browser on Clear Linux*

Step by step process

1. Open a terminal.

2. Run the following command to obtain root privileges

sudo -s

and type your admin password.

3. Run the following commands, one by one:

swupd bundle-add package-utils
    dnf config-manager --add-repo https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/x86_64/
    rpm --import https://brave-browser-rpm-release.s3.brave.com/brave-core.asc
    dnf download brave-browser
    rpm -U --nodeps brave-browser*.rpm
    sed -i 's\/usr/bin/brave-browser-stable\env FONTCONFIG_PATH=/usr/share/defaults/fonts /usr/bin/brave-browser-stable\g' /usr/share/applications/brave-browser.desktop
    rm -f brave-*.rpm

4. Now, if you don’t need it, you can delete the package-utils bundle:

swupd bundle-remove package-utils

Done! :grin:

I noted some errors during the installation, but the browser should work anyway. Let me know if there’s something that can be improved, especially about those errors and dependencies. I hope it’s helpful! :smile:

Updating Brave Browser

Note: If you installed Brave using the old tutorial (pre 18 December 2019), follow the steps in this comment first, and then re-install Brave as described above.

To update Brave you can re-follow the procedure for installation, or periodically run it in a script.

Uninstalling Brave browser

Note: If you installed Brave using the old tutorial (pre 18 December 2019), follow the steps in this comment instead of the following ones.

1. Open a terminal

2. Run the following command to obtain root privileges

sudo -s

and type your admin password.

3. Run the following commands, one by one:

swupd bundle-add package-utils
    rpm -e brave-browser

4. Now if you don’t need it you can delete the package-utils bundle by running:

swupd bundle-remove package-utils

Done! :grin:

5 Likes

I am facing font loading problem even after executing the command sed -i 's/Icon=brave-browser/Icon=brave/g' /usr/share/applications/brave-browser.desktop and rebooted it.

@MattiaVerticchio, @TomL, are you facing the problem with the latest Clear Linux release?

Hi @nayab, I just noticed the issue and updated the post, here are the changes:

1. No need for the additional brave-keyring package anymore.
  2. The low resolution icon issue is now fixed by default.
  3. The font loading is specified for the single app instead of globally, to overcome the issue you pointed out.

If you followed the previous tutorial you can uninstall Brave running

sudo rpm -e brave-browser brave-keyring

and delete the /etc/environment file (if you don’t need it for other purposes) running

sudo rm -f /etc/environment

Now you can re-follow the updated installation procedure. :grin: