Installer-updater for Brave Browser, Google Chrome, Chromium-Freeworld, and Vivaldi

Some time ago, I created an update script for checking and installing Chromium-Freeworld updates automatically. Tonight, I completed the same for Brave, Google Chrome, and Vivaldi. The automation installs the browser if non-existence. Otherwise, it checks and updates the browser to the latest stable release.

$ ~/bin/upd-brave-stable
Brave Browser stable 106.1.44.108 (current)

$ ~/bin/upd-chrome-stable
Google Chrome stable 106.0.5249.103 (current)

$ ~/bin/upd-chromium-freeworld
Chromium-Freeworld 106.0.5249.91 (current)

$ ~/bin/upd-vivaldi-stable
Vivaldi stable 5.5.2805.35 (current)

The installers live at the NVIDIA driver on Clear Linux repo, under the HWAccel/bin folder.

3 Likes

I assume this is for low level installs, not for Flatpaks.

I assume this is for low level installs, not for Flatpaks.

Yes. The binaries live under /opt.

I was unable to get Wayland working in Clear Linux. At the bare minimum, I will update the repo ensuring the following are satisfied. But something else is preventing Wayland from working using the proprietary driver.

• GDM udev rule looks for /usr/bin/nvidia-sleep.sh
  • GDM udev rule checks for NVIDIA hibernate, resume, and suspend services enabled
  • GDM udev rule also checks for NVIDIA_PRESERVE_VIDEO_MEMORY_ALLOCATIONS=1

For extra QA, I installed Fedora 37 beta solely to test Wayland. Scale factor does not yet work in Wayland. I updated the launch scripts and disabled SF="".

Thank you, I’ll try Google Chrome ASAP.

1 Like

Ulaa is a privacy-centric browser launched by Zoho, a global technology company recently.
https://ulaa.com/

There is a Linux version available, but I am unable to install it on a Clear Linux machine.
Could you please consider creating an Installer-updater script for Ulaa browser too?
Thank you.

I removed the automation for Chrome and variants from the repository. It was taking more effort keeping up with the upstream changes.

Is it worth trusting closed source browser that claim to be privacy-centric?