NVIDIA Driver Installation Issue

Hi,

I’m about to give up attempting to install NVIDIA driver on my laptop with GeForce 960M (Dell XPS 15). I followed different instructions the one posted in “Tutorials and Guides” and automated scripts offered by marioroy (github). All seems straightforward but every time I end up with a white screen (oops, something went wrong…) after a reboot. Is there any advice to diagnose it and make it work? I use CL 36020 from the download page. I tried LTS and Native but the result is the same. The CL is installed along side with Ubuntu 22.04 where NVIDIA works fine. So I rule out the hardware.

Thanks in advance.
-W

The automated scripts by marioroy (GitHub) may not be compatible with the instructions in “Tutorials and Guides” e.g. lib vs lib64. At the very least, I tried to keep the filename(s) consistent under /etc.

To be sure, pass the “update” argument to pre-driver-install. That will update the configuration related files ensuring lib64 in the path. But, I’m not sure how /opt/nvidia dirs are created in the event following the instructions in “Tutorials and Guides” first.

bash ./pre-install-driver update

Is the Dell XPS 15 laptop using an Intel CPU with integrated graphics? Perhaps, the following is needed. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf. This file is created by the NVIDIA installer.

Section "OutputClass"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    MatchDriver "nvidia-drm"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
    Option "PrimaryGPU" "yes"
    Option "SLI" "Auto"
    Option "BaseMosaic" "on"
EndSection

Section "OutputClass"
    Identifier "intel"
    MatchDriver "i915"
    Driver "modesetting"
EndSection

The other option is disabling the integrated GPU on Intel Chip. I’m not sure if this is how Ubuntu handles it. Unfortunately, I cannot help more because I am using an AMD CPU.

1 Like

The modification of the nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf did the trick. Thanks a lot for your help!

1 Like

There’s more truths in that sentence than you might think… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the report. The install-driver script now updates the output class configuration automatically, ensuring NVIDIA is the primary GPU and proper driver setting for the Intel GPU.

1 Like

Thank you! It should help others going through the same pain. On a separate note: after installing a KDE bundle it got damaged something. I’m getting a black screen. Always something!

-W

A similar circumstance recently occurred with my video card drivers. I fully removed all traces of the video card from my computer. Reinstall the visual card using the generic Windows drivers while you wait for Nvidia to update the drivers. Not all functions will be available to you to buy research chemicals, but it will suffice. It took AMD almost a month to resolve their issue.

I took down my GitHub nvidia-driver-on-clear-linux repo. It became too much to maintain. There’s always something not working with NVIDIA’s driver(s), NVDEC-backend VA-API hardware acceleration, or Firefox. Currently, Firefox crashes on my AMD box since Clear Linux 37700. Ditto for Firefox Beta and Nightly.

I submitted many bug reports to Intel over the last year and a half and decided to stop. So now, I will try another OS.

@marioroy
Funny, I just googled for your post to find your repo to install the Nvidia drivers on my CL install, because Gnome 43 (brought by 37310) isn’t playing well with my 3060 TI. Now that you took it down, I’m starting to lose hope in continuing running CL as well.

I tracked down the issues with the NVIDIA proprietary driver failing with recent CL releases. Particularly, the missing gears icon on the login screen and Firefox crashing. I will re-release the nvidia-driver-on-clear-linux repository after addition testing; eta before Christmas.

Journey taken:

1. The Nouveau driver works fine in Fedora 37, but must disable Wayland (e.g. /etc/gdm/custom.conf). In Clear Linux, the Nouveau driver fails with Xorg and Wayland.

2. The NVIDIA proprietary driver is working in Fedora 37. This includes seeing the gears icon on the login screen for choosing “GNOME on Xorg” or “GNOME on Wayland”. No issues with Firefox either.

3. A new attempt running Clear Linux using NVIDIA graphics. The finale release will be my completed journey.

Edit:

The issues are resolved in 3rd makeover re-release: New NVIDIA driver automation - #32 by marioroy