NVIDIA Driver Installation Issue

Hi,

I’m about to give up attempting to install NVIDIA driver on my laptop with GeForce 960M (Dell XPS 15). I followed different instructions the one posted in “Tutorials and Guides” and automated scripts offered by marioroy (github). All seems straightforward but every time I end up with a white screen (oops, something went wrong…) after a reboot. Is there any advice to diagnose it and make it work? I use CL 36020 from the download page. I tried LTS and Native but the result is the same. The CL is installed along side with Ubuntu 22.04 where NVIDIA works fine. So I rule out the hardware.

Thanks in advance.
-W

The automated scripts by marioroy (GitHub) may not be compatible with the instructions in “Tutorials and Guides” e.g. lib vs lib64. At the very least, I tried to keep the filename(s) consistent under /etc.

To be sure, pass the “update” argument to pre-driver-install. That will update the configuration related files ensuring lib64 in the path. But, I’m not sure how /opt/nvidia dirs are created in the event following the instructions in “Tutorials and Guides” first.

bash ./pre-install-driver update

Is the Dell XPS 15 laptop using an Intel CPU with integrated graphics? Perhaps, the following is needed. Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf. This file is created by the NVIDIA installer.

Section "OutputClass"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    MatchDriver "nvidia-drm"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
    Option "PrimaryGPU" "yes"
    Option "SLI" "Auto"
    Option "BaseMosaic" "on"
EndSection

Section "OutputClass"
    Identifier "intel"
    MatchDriver "i915"
    Driver "modesetting"
EndSection

The other option is disabling the integrated GPU on Intel Chip. I’m not sure if this is how Ubuntu handles it. Unfortunately, I cannot help more because I am using an AMD CPU.

The modification of the nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf did the trick. Thanks a lot for your help!

1 Like

There’s more truths in that sentence than you might think… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the report. The install-driver script now updates the output class configuration automatically, ensuring NVIDIA is the primary GPU and proper driver setting for the Intel GPU.

1 Like

Thank you! It should help others going through the same pain. On a separate note: after installing a KDE bundle it got damaged something. I’m getting a black screen. Always something!

-W