Post your Clearlinux download speed/time?

@Lucapz agreed. One needs to be very curious to accept such a long download time just to test drive a distro. Hopefully there will be improvements to the download process in the future. My download is still running now…

1 Like

The download just finished (clear-32340-live-desktop.iso). It took over 9 hours. Location: Jakarta, Indonesia. ISP: PT Graha Multimedia Nusantara.

@ahkok may I suggest that the Clear Linux team maintains several mirrors in different locations around the globe? I can see how the third party CDN method looks more appealing to a team of developers. However, from an end user perspective different global mirrors are almost always the better solution.

I will give Clear Linux a spin now but if the updates come at the same speed I don’t see how I can maintain a rolling release distro.

That is what a CDN does - it maintains several mirrors in different geo’s with high bandwidth.

@ahkok I am aware of that. In practice though I found that it often does not work as well as maintaining your own servers. This is especially true in more exotic parts of the world.

Edit: To end this on something more positive. After taking a look Clear Linux made an excellent first impression.

That makes no sense?

Other CDN downloads from other distros are constantly fast and have been for years, clearlinux CDN is not even usable for some of us as it’s too slow?

How long did it take to install?

I ran it from a live CD and installed it on a virtual box for now. The VB install was fast. I didn’t look at the clock.

Most CDN’s work where it’s not a mirror, but a cache. When you download a file, it is first fetched to the most local CDN node, then distributed to you from that node (unless that node has already downloaded the file recently). They work fantastic when people are frequently downloading the same file from the same locations). The amount of time a file is cached I imagine is quite small if no one else downloads it within an hour or two.

So your download is the minimum of the speed the node can download the file and the speed of your connection to the node. Most speed issues I would expect from the former than the latter (which you can test by downloading the file twice and see if it is faster the 2nd time).

They don’t tend to send the file through the CDN network, which I’d expect to be very fast

1 Like

For the sake of this thread I have just tried to download a new copy of Clear Linux Desktop today. Today the download works as expected. I didn’t download the full package but the initial speed is normal and the download ETA was showing as 40 minutes which is a typical distro download time in my location with my ISP.

Very likely what @sunnyflunk said about it now being cached on your local CDN.

We’ve completed some improvements to our CDN deployment, and setup a way to “warm up” the CDNs. This seems in our own testing to have increased performance significantly already. This should help a lot for those who are downloading our live ISO images (server/desktop).

A quick test here in Australia.

(1.26 MB/s) https://download.clearlinux.org/current/clear-32530-cloudguest.img.xz
(1.11 MB/s) https://cdn.download.clearlinux.org/current/clear-32530-cloudguest.img.xz

So it’s faster for me to bypass the CDN altogether! Still only about 40% of what I get from every other US based server.

At least for now, the cache warm up focus is on commonly accessed large .iso files - as shown from the Desktop and Server download links here: Downloads | Clear Linux* Project. Can you test against one of those URL’s? This is where most people go for the download. The files in /current are not cached yet.

The one issue with the CDN vendor is that they don’t provide a mechanism to pre-warm all edge sites, so were warming things up in most larger locations by simply pulling the images to cache - just after we release the content. This will improve as we expand the sites and the images pulled, but not everyone will enjoy the gain.

~1.6 MB/s for the links sunnyflunk suggested.
~28 MB/s for the desktop image from the common download page.

Downloading from the Netherlands.

1 Like

Using the live desktop and server images from the download page, I still get the same slow speeds. I can’t imagine Aus would be one of the popular places to warm the cache (and they would drop off eventually if no-one downloads them for hours).

While fixing the speed of some files is great, for current users the bundles/rpms are the ones that are important. Updates are manual here (for proper reasons) and I have built/fixed packages via autospec. The slow speeds of all files from the CDN have meant I try to avoid building packages anymore due to how long it takes to download a GB of build files to test a basic fix (can be over an hour to get started).

As a test, I looked up the IP of the CDN via a random looking glass node from LA and set my /etc/hosts to fix the CDN IP to 72.247.204.99. My download speeds for any file on the CDN now gets to about 2.5MB/s while taking a few seconds to ramp up to speed (2.79MB/s is my usual sustained speed). Possibly Telia akamai node in Dallas which is suboptimal so might hunt for an LA one.

I’m getting very low download speed for clearlinux server iso. Around 30 KB/s. I usually get more than 6 MB/s downloads.
Is there any way to speed up the download.

user@clear~ $ wget -c https://cdn.download.clearlinux.org/releases/33060/clear/clear-33060-live-server.iso
–2020-05-09 19:25:27-- https://cdn.download.clearlinux.org/releases/33060/clear/clear-33060-live-server.iso
Resolving cdn.download.clearlinux.org… 23.8.184.98
Connecting to cdn.download.clearlinux.org|23.8.184.98|:443… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 206 Partial Content
Length: 857735168 (818M), 784445603 (748M) remaining [application/x-iso9660-image]
Saving to: ‘clear-33060-live-server.iso’
clear-33060-live-server.iso 9%[+++++++ ] 74.92M 28.7KB/s eta 98m 58s

$ wget https://cdn.download.clearlinux.org/releases/33200/clear/clear-33200-live-desktop.iso

clear-33200-live-desktop.iso 100%[=======================================================================>] 2,74G 80,4MB/s ds 37s

1 Like
2020-05-29 13:08:54 (90.4 MB/s) - ‘clear-33200-live-desktop.iso’ saved [2944139264/2944139264]

Looks pretty normal, I have 20Mbps speed. Location is Special Region of Jogjakarta with IndosatGIG as my ISP.

Well, here it is, both 1 and 2