Powersave CPU governor instead of performance

When typing in terminal :

cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

I’ve noticed that Clear Linux uses the powersave CPU governor instead of performance which is supposed to be the default.

I didn’t change anything on my computer.

Is it a change made by the Clear Linux developpers ?

2 Likes

The CPU governor is back to performance in Clear Linux 35390

1 Like

It’s back to powersave in Clear Linux 35860

Are you running Clear on a laptop ?

Yes I’m using a laptop. But I’ve been using Clear Linux for a year and it always has been on performance.

Except now.

There was a change in clr-power-tweaks that went in at the end of October to select the performance setting for servers, and powersave for everything else.
I don’t know why you saw it flip back to performance in December, although there was a brief period a couple of months ago when we had to fix a crashing bug in clr-power-tweaks.
If you want to permanently switch to performance despite the CPU identified, you can check out the man page

man 5 clr-power-tweaks

or just copy and paste the following line into /etc/clr-power-tweaks.conf

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor performance

and that should ensure it is set the way you want after any reboots or updates.

2 Likes

I’ve just created the /etc/clr-power-tweaks.conf file and added /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor performance inside and rebooted but the powersave CPU governor remains

1 Like

This is what happens when I don’t test this out for myself :slight_smile: You may have found a bug.

1 Like

Looks like this has been fixed in 36020 (or if not then, in 36030). @erik Could you update to the latest and retry?

Thanks,
Chris

1 Like

I’ve upgraded to 36030, rebooted and the CPU governor is now performance like I wanted.

Thanks @pixelgeek .

1 Like

Good to hear - thanks for the feedback

1 Like