[SOLVED] How to install Clear Linux to separate partition without installing the boot loader?

By reading the various forum posts here. That Windows and other Linuxes have to be reinstalled, etc.

Maybe, not format it, but would CLR_BOOT overwrite what’s already in there?

There may have been some issues in the past, but instead of reviewing old forum posts, I think you’re safer listening to current information from those directly involved with creating and testing the installer.

Using advanced disk configuration and adding the partition name CLR_BOOT to an existing FAT32 (aka VFAT) partition will cause it to be re-used, not formatted. The file system would only be formated if there is not already a file system present

or if you include the format option in the label by adding an _F.

The Clear Boot Manager (clr-boot-manager) will then place the Clear Linux OS specific files in unique folders or using Clear Linux specific file names. Example of the active EFI partition for Clear Linux:

# tree /boot
/boot
β”œβ”€β”€ EFI
β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ BOOT
β”‚   β”‚   └── BOOTX64.EFI
β”‚   └── org.clearlinux
β”‚       β”œβ”€β”€ bootloaderx64.efi
β”‚       β”œβ”€β”€ freestanding-00-intel-ucode.cpio
β”‚       β”œβ”€β”€ freestanding-i915-firmware.cpio.xz
β”‚       β”œβ”€β”€ kernel-org.clearlinux.lts2018.4.19.79-86
β”‚       β”œβ”€β”€ kernel-org.clearlinux.native.5.3.2-844
β”‚       β”œβ”€β”€ kernel-org.clearlinux.native.5.3.6-849
β”‚       └── loaderx64.efi
└── loader
    β”œβ”€β”€ entries
    β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ Clear-linux-lts2018-4.19.79-86.conf
    β”‚   β”œβ”€β”€ Clear-linux-native-5.3.2-844.conf
    β”‚   └── Clear-linux-native-5.3.6-849.conf
    └── loader.conf

If you are still concerned, please refer to this example of adding Clear Linux OS to an existing Windows installation:
https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/latest/tutorials/multi-boot/dual-boot-win.html

7 Likes

I still have questions.

1. If I rename EFI System Partition to CLR_BOOT, would Windows see that partition later? Windows 10 likes its own naming system.
  2. Would other Linuxes that had their own boot folders in EFI System Partition will still be there?
  3. Is there a tutorial how to multi-boot with Windows 10 and other Linuxes?

Thank you! Finally installed CL. :slight_smile:
Boots through UEFI boot, much easier than through Grub.

1 Like

Just to add on what the others here have said, I found that it was much easier if you did the installation on a GPT (as opposed to an MBR) disk. MBR disks limit the number of primary partitions you can create to 4, hence the problem in installing an extra OS on top of the ones you already have. GPT disks on the other hand allow you to create additional primary partitions without a fuss. To install Clear Linux on a GPT disk, all you need is a large enough (let’s say >25GB?) unpartitioned space on your disk. The installer will then automatically detect this unpartitioned space and choose the β€œsafe” installation method for you. Just click on the confirm button to get the ball rolling. Behind the scenes the installer will create 3 partitions out of the unpartitioned space you created (without touching the already existing ones). The 3 partitions are used for boot, swap and the root filesystem. These are essentially the same partitions you will need to manually create if you select the β€œadvanced” installation method, where all you need to do is label them as CLR_BOOT, CLR_SWAP and CLR_ROOT, respectively. The boot partition is usually small in size. The swap partition can be any desired size. The last partition, on the other hand, is where the root filesystem is going to be (the OS plus all your programs). You can use gparted to do this. Just make sure you choose the right disk and don’t mess with the other partitions. If you’re lucky, the installer will detect and create boot entries for the other operating systems available on the disk. If it doesn’t you’ll have to do it yourself. There is a lot of information on the internet on how to do this. Good luck.

3 Likes

Can someone point to me in where was the answer that lead to this case to be solved? I’m trying to install Clear Linux on a USB-stick, but I’m receiving a kernel panic after rebooting.

Do I need to manually transfer the /boot directory content to the fat32 CLR_BOOT drive?

Actually I just used the Clear Linux live installation usb drive. Went through the keyboard setup then clicked drive setup and selected Advanced setup with a partition manager which just so happens to be gparted. I then resized my primary partition down 3 Gigs then created a new partition with the empty 3 Gigs I just created. Selected format for new swap partition 3 Gig’s save changes then viola! exit the live setup and restart.