The NVIDIA driver automation transitions to Wayland era

My motherboard does not have video output. So, I think my processor’s built in graphics doesn’t work the same way as your laptop. I really don’t want it to work anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also installed the 38400 server on a SATA drive for fun. Added the desktop-kde bundle. Installed the beta NVIDIA driver using @marioroy 's repo.

Now able to boot into kde with Wayland or x11. I am hoping the Clear Linux development team will add the option to install the proprietary NVIDIA driver in the distro clr-installer like Ubuntu and Arch linux do. Please!!!

1 Like

Firefox 110.0.0 or 110.0.1 may have introduced a regression. It requires one to export MOZ_DRM_DEVICE in ~/.config/firefox.conf or ~/bin/run-firefox script. Your device path may differ.

export MOZ_DRM_DEVICE=/dev/dri/renderD128

Please refer to the nvidia-vaapi-driver repo for further details. The issue is not caused by the the vaapi backend driver. Rather an anomaly in Firefox.

Let me make a new update. I stopped using GNOME because I found it too simple and without options, despite that I needed to constantly press Meta key or take the mouse pointer to the upper-left corner in order to see the main dash panel to launch new apps (there is no option in GNOME to make that panel visible on the main desktop). So, I continue using KDE, which I am using since a lot of years ago.

Now, I discovered the functional and correct way to use the NVIDIA GPU as default in a laptop with Optimus configuration and I want to share with you all.

After I install the ClearLinux OS, KDE desktop bundles and NVIDIA drivers, I create and adjust some files, then restart and the magic is done spectacularly: Wayland fully using NVIDIA GPU as primary.

[/etc/environment.d/10-sddm.conf]

__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1
__VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only
__GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia
[/etc/sddm.conf.d/wayland.conf]

[General]
DisplayServer=wayland
GreeterEnvironment=QT_WAYLAND_SHELL_INTEGRATION=layer-shell,QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland
InputMethod=

[Wayland]
CompositorCommand=kwin_wayland --no-lockscreen

With this tweaks, you will be able to execute SDDM using Wayland through “kwin_wayland” and start the “Plasma Wayland” session with Wayland using NVIDIA GPU through PRIME Screen Offload with no efforts and transparently.

Some screenshots:

2 Likes

XFCE / Wayland is in the works too :

https://wiki.xfce.org/releng/wayland_roadmap

There is a video of Fedora 38 running GNOME on Wayland. What is great about the video is the author shares the list of GNOME extensions used; 1m50s. For example, Dash to Dock. He mentioned having to build just one extension. The other extensions installed fine.

Someone suggested I try hyper-terminal. I was using Kitty before, but is unappealing opening new windows due to the “mutter-x11-frames” regression. That is on Xorg (1).

Today, I learned that hyper-terminal (2) can create tabs and vertical/horizontal panes, similar to qterminal. The gnome-desktop-environment + the pop-shell-extension (3) + hyper-terminal work seamlessly together without visual artifacts. One can choose to add new tabs, open new windows or create vertical/horizontal panes. To clarify, the tabs (including vertical/horizontal panes) are managed by the terminal application. Pop-shell manages new windows.

The pop-shell extension (3) would be a welcome addition to the Clear Linux desktop experience. I tried pop-shell on Nobara Linux 37 and Fedora Linux 38. Tiling in Gnome (similar to sway) is quite nice. One can toggle tiling using a keyboard shortcut.

I also tried gnome-terminal. Opening new tabs in gnome-terminal while the pop-shell extension is enabled is visually unappealing. The entire window is removed momentarily and then re-appears with one extra tab.

(1) I’m using Xorg, awaiting for Chrome (Chromium-Freeworld) to support fractional scaling on Wayland. That’s on its way and just a matter of time.
(2) Hyper-Terminal: https://hyper.is/
(3a) Package name in Fedora Linux: gnome-shell-extension-pop-shell
(3b) Pop!_OS Keyboard Shortcuts - System76 Support

The above is subjective. Use what you like. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I know you said you wanted to archive the github repo and walk away, but I want to say thanks for sticking around. I really hope the Clear Linux team is willing to support Nvidia drivers, and AMD drivers. At least for a bit until Intel drivers on Arc series graphics mature.

1 Like

Driver 545.23.06 is out. Big jump from 535. Installed it using your scripts without an issue. As usual, unable to run a Wayland session with my RTX4090 and it is okay. Unable to run Wayland since Gnome 45 and CL 40xx updates.

https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/545.23.06/

Wayland functional after installing KDE.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this. Running 545.23.06 with Wayland in GNOME. NVIDIA RTX A6000

2 Likes