What do you use clearlinux for? Your top 5 apps?

I think there is a guide here in the forums. I use Firefox and Chromium sometimes. For Chromium I just download the daily builds (not the installation package) provided by Google. I think I left a guide in the thread were someone asked about installing Google Chrome or Chromium.

1 Like

Firefox
Internet radio
Retroarch
Lutris
Fightcade

1 Like

yeah installed microsoft edge succesfully using the chrome method

1 Like

I use it as a general purpose distribution so :leftwards_arrow_with_hook:

1. Chromium
  2. Spotify
  3. VLC
  4. Google Chrome
  5. qBittorrent

Not very original :tired_face:

1 Like

You got it working again?

• Citrix Workspace & FireFox
  • Terminal ( so nice looking ) for dev python 2.7 & python 3, sshd, scp
  • Arduino
  • SimpleScreenRecorder
1 Like

No. I tried deleting ~/.config/qBittorrent/ but it keeps crashing after launch

transmission works better with gnome anyway

1 Like

I use Clear Linux for its attracting speed, It is for me some kind of an ā€œalmightyā€ and experimental workstation OS for my weeb, fansubbing, videophile and audiophile purposes. Render stuff at high fidelity is sometimes painfully slow, thus I use CL to render the final product. But itā€™s not my daily driver, it is usually more use-able for me something like Linux Mint or a detoxed Win10.

My top apps are:

1. Vapoursynth - FFmpeg: I put both as I work too much with them in conjunction (Both built from source)
  2. Gedit: where I write code for vapoursynth, which is based on python (Native)
  3. Aegisub: useful to make complex subtitles (Painfuly built from source)
  4. Firefox: as I have to see some documentation (Native)
  5. VLC: to see my results (Flatpak, I donā€™t want to get into trouble by building it from sourceā€¦)
3 Likes

I use it for its speed and responsiveness. The installation process was quick and easy and that really impressed me.

My top apps are:

1. Firefox for quickness and security
  2. QMplay for watching over the air local TV via HDhomerun tuner
  3. Hexchat irc for social goofing around
  4. Ardour for copying old records and CDs to ogg and putting on mobile phone
  5. Enlightenment Desktop with its usual set of glory.
4 Likes
  1. Google chrome / Firefox
  2. Libre office
  3. VLC
    4.Nano Editor
  4. GIMP
  5. Notes
2 Likes

I like clearlinux for itā€™s speed plus because I have a certain nvme drive I donā€™t need to add any boot parameters. My main use is:

1. Firefox for web browsing
  2. vlc for music and video
  3. Gimp for photo editing (still learning)
  4. Fedora Media Writer for iso burning
  5. Transmission for downloading torrents

Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™ll stay with it or not but itā€™s definitely the quickest distro Iā€™ve tried. My system is Acer Laptop Swift SF314-41 with bios V1.10, CPU: AMD Athlon 300U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (4) @ 2.400GHz, GPU: AMD ATI Radeon Vega Series / Radeon Vega Mobile Series, Memory: 5923 MiB. Memory is 8 gb but typical acer uses 2 elsewhere!

As much as possible. I have built a new Alder Lake desktop and just getting going with it. I have an old Windows desktop and trying to replace it, although I will probably have to run Windows as VM or dual boot as I use the Adobe suite, MS-Office, and some other Windows-only programs.

So far Iā€™ve been using the amateur radio bundle. Itā€™s going OK but could be better.

1. WSJT-X (working very well)
  2. qsstv: Program does not enumerate any of the audio devices on my computer. Trying to rebuild qsstv from source to remove the filtering. WSJT-X has no problem with the enumeration because it doesnā€™t try to be helpful by removing items from the list.
  3. cqrlog: Seems to be the best logger available, but its not in the package. Free Pascal/Lazarus not available for building from source and building those from source is confusing. xlog in the amateur radio bundle is not very functional.
  4. Hamlib: Works well, no header files in package making building QSSTV difficult.
  5. gpredict: Havenā€™t tried it yet. Used it under windows.

Other problems:

1. Dev packages are humungous. I loaded 3 GB trying to get openjp2-dev but it doesnā€™t exist. Ended up building it from source.

2. Gnome desktop - the amateur radio apps have very weird classifications. qsstv is under education, wsjt-x is under imaging.

3. Did I mention that the header files are missing in hamlib?

Overall impression so far. I like most of what I see but there are some very rough edges that are make my first experience tough sledding.

Chris Sullivan
VE3NRT

2 Likes
  1. qsstv: hopefully fixed here
  2. cqrlog: I think I tried to build/package this a long time ago. To do that, Iā€™d have to bundle Free Pascal and Lazarus too, which I seem to recall turned into a huge mess of dependencies and possible license conflicts. Oh, and it installs and runs a copy of mysqld too. It might be easiest to download the precompiled binary release (e.g. cqrlog_2.5.2_amd64.tar.gz) from the projectā€™s download page. You might want to try moving the pieces under /usr/local so it doesnā€™t conflict with installed bundles.
  3. hamlib: hamlib-dev bundle coming soon.
  4. gpredict: I think youā€™ll be impressed how fast this starts up under Clear Linux.

Thanks Brett,

I havenā€™t used Pascal since my first-year computer science course. The binary might work, although I just tried a little control program for my Elecraft tuner, and it failed with a Gtk error. Elecraft is looking at it. They havenā€™t published the source code for some reason. MySQL is not my favourite DBMS (PostgreSQL is) but it is preferable to the text files used by xlog. I have more than 24K entries in my log. CQRlog also has a lot of the features people expect like interfaces to on-line services. Thereā€™s another well-known set of ham radio utilities that are primarily in Pascal (CW Skimmer, Omnirig, etc. by VE3NEA).

Itā€™s tough going getting as much working as I can on Linux and there are some things that will likely never be available like N1MM+, but Iā€™ll keep trying. Hopefully, Iā€™ll be able to use Linux for most of my ham radio stuff.

Chris