What do you use clearlinux for? Your top 5 apps?

On my little NUC6CAYH:

1. Docker
    2-5) That’s it! :grinning:

I was looking for an autoupdating SO as an Host for my selfhosted docker services, I think I found a new home!

4 Likes

So reading these responses on what CL users are using it for:

• It appears all users are using CL as desktop system rather than for cloud server and VM development.
  • Considering such interest it seems that recent decision to de-prioritize CL desktop and to focus on cloud support goes against the majority of responders…
    Hopefully CL management reads this and continues necessary attention to CL desktop purpose as well…
    This is a great, most solid Linux out there with great ideas implemented such as separation of system from user etc., and it is important for CL to continue increasing user base and wide recognition…
    Just my two cents…
2 Likes

Huh? just above it is:

I took it to be about desktops as the topic was opened that way, and it is top 5 apps. I did mention Docker was my true #1.
I also use clear for a private network git server (with a web UI), openvpn server, notebook server, cloud image development, container development, devops, blockchain etc. Lab building: I get very good throughput out of a clear linux vm that is also running kvm and/or Docker. If it weren’t for web browsers and basic (tedious) office needs I would never bother with a desktop. Vim or neovim is no more difficult to configure as an IDE than it is to keep a desktop set up how you want it, and it is far less distracting.

That being said, because of the reasons mentioned above I like most sysadmins devs devops hackers coders scrapers machine learners C.S.-ers etc do need a desktop. It is important to consider. And a system like Clear’s is ideal: it helps keeps you in the curve and free of deprecated and obsoleted code, and caught up on security patches. Helps keep your work from getting stale. And the stateless architecture is very, very nice. Hopefully as more and more devs begin to notice the community will continue to grow and gain support, perhaps code contributions will grow as well.

2 Likes

a system like cl is ideal because it covers an enormous bandwidth. therefore, x versus y discussions are imho counterproductive. adding the term “workstation” to cl would be no mistake.

as it is written: “… from the cloud to the edge”. thx & amen.

ps: what a handful of people are posting in this special thread is not representative.

3 Likes

I don’t understand… There was no mention about desktop, for me “apps” mean “software” and not “desktop software”! My mistake! :smiley:
Anyway, I’m on CL on my server only because it’s a strange time for cloud SO (CoreOS and RancherOS recently dead with not so good alternatives right now, no video hardware acceleration, etc…) and I found stable enough for my current porpouse. Will see in the future…

3 Likes

No, you are right. There was no specific mention about desktop. The topic just happened to open with a list of 5 desktop apps and that’s what a lot of us ran with. It’s kind of a fun topic when you are using an exciting new distro for your desktop.

Lots of cloud VMs:
1-5 Docker with clearlinux images -> of course :smiley:
BTW: Thank you a lot for all the image updates!

NUC10i7FNB:

1. Gnome
  2. IntelliJ
  3. Chrome (forum script)
  4. Slack (flathub)
  5. Teams (3rd-party repo)

TR3970x with dual 5700XT

1. Gnome (bundled)
  2. Chrome (forum script)
  3. virt-manager / kvm (bundled)
  4. Steam (binary tgz)
  5. Gentoo (chroot) :grimacing:
4 Likes

Tor, Kleopatra, Exodus and Geddit load and run ridiculously fast.

ProjectM is a stunning Milkdrop replacement. You have to compile it yourself.The version in the software shop doesn’t work.

Reaper DAW, Genesis Pro synth and Pulse Effects is a great combo for 1EU +tax . Getting to run Windows and Linux synths is neat and the lag is nearly as good as the dedicated music distros.

Gimp loads nearly as quickly as MSPaint.

I use make a lot. Sometimes it works.

Screensaver is SO good. AppleII, BSOD, and Pong!!!

I miss MPCBe and MadVr. It’s hardware upscaling works so well.

I wish I could get my G700s mouse to use the other 6 buttons.

4 Likes

I use CL for a wide range of tasks, from diagnosing and repairing computers at the shop, to web design, gaming, and casual use at home. Although I am currently writing this on my Custom i7-4790k and RX 5700 XT on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, my HP EliteBook 850 G3 is currently running Clear Linux after previously using Ubuntu, and the difference is astoundingly better with Clear Linux. I’m seriously considering switching my Custom to CL, but I am worried about the GPU suffering a performance hit since it’s…you know…AMD. Plus another thing holding me back from trying it out is I’ve spent a lot of time distro hopping and finally found peace with the latest Ubuntu and I am EXHAUSTED from messing with this thing.

My top 5 programs (Personally) are Firefox, Spotify, VLC, RetroArch, and Steam
My top 5 programs (Professionally) are Firefox, Spotify, Gnome Disk Utility, Disk Usage Analyzer, and SophosAV
My top 5 programs (Hobbyist) are Firefox, Spotify, Atom, FileZilla, and IcedTea

I’d also like to mention that I use Clementine, Google Chrome (not to be confused with Chromium), Discord, OBS Studio, Remmina, Private Internet Access, Pinta, and TeamViewer. All of these install with relative ease and run quite fast and stable on my laptop. Let’s just say I’m not removing Clear Linux off of my EliteBook anytime soon. Plus all of my game controllers work as they should and all of our printers work with CL at the shop.I have had ZERO issues with CL in the past month I’ve been using it and I have to say I am impressed! With other distro’s I would get (at best), about 2 weeks in until a bug or some kind of issue would surface. Ubuntu 20.04 is the only other distro to break that record, surprisingly.

If there was anything I’d have to critique about CL, it might be the name. I don’t think it’s catchy enough, and seems kind of uninspired. Plus there’s already a distro called ClearOS which can lead to confusion for new adopters. Other than that, I really don’t have anything bad to say about CL.

On a side note, I’d like to take this chance to thank the Clear Linux developers for creating this masterpiece and Intel for funding these wizards! I see a lot of potential from your work and hope it works out well for you guys in the future. Maybe well enough to give ol’ Microsoft a good fight!

PS: Sorry for straying off topic, that tends to happen to me when I really like something!

8 Likes

1 VMM and Whonix. Oracle is evil. KVM on VMM works and isn’t evil. Go to here via Tor.

http://www.dds6qkxpwdeubwucdiaord2xgbbeyds25rbsgr73tbfpqpt4a6vjwsyd.onion/wiki/KVM#Download_and_Extract

Follow the instructions.

2 Exodus to convert Bitcoin to Monero. Ruqqus has a small friendly Darknet sub. Be wary. It’s not Ebay.

3 Everything. Between the flatpacks, .rpm’s, odd little workarounds and make Clear does everything I’ve wanted it to and so much faster than I expected. Gimp loads faster than MS Paint?

4 ProjectM My first benchmark on a new PC has been FPS in Milkdrop for 20 years now. All hail the new king :smiley: .

Posted from Whonix. Thanks to Intel for allowing account creation in Tor.

2 Likes

Clear Linux is the only operating system I have on my laptop, I use it daily for everything. Mainly for software development, graphic design, internet and communication.

1. Google Chrome (rpm)
  2. IntelliJ (binary tar.gz)
  3. OpenJDK / Maven (skd-man)
  4. Hyper.js (appimage)
  5. GitKraken (flatpak)
3 Likes

Hello all. This is my first post here on this forum.

I have been using Linux in one form or another since 1998 and during that time I have witnessed many changes (the good, the bad, and the ugly…). However, not until recently has there been such a massive growth in polished and mature desktop software, in particular CAD, DAW, and AV tools.

I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to making possible GNU and Linux as a viable and usable alternative OS. :grin:

Here is the ‘top five’ program list that I use on a daily basis:

1. Brave
  2. Eeschema
  3. Terminal
  4. Transmission
  5. TeXstudio
2 Likes

I use it on a work provided Dell desktop at home via ssh. My “desktop” duties are handled by macOS on a MacBook Pro.

Top 5:

1. tmux (I’m also a dev for tmux).
  2. vim (my main dev environment for C++ and Python code).
  3. gdb + gdb-dashboard + my custom pretty printers for debugging.
  4. mc.
  5. valgrind and kcachegrind for profiling.

It connects to my work VPN via L2TP. Very happy with it, and am pushing it at work. We currently use CentOS in production.

It boots in text mode (in 1.74 secs!), no X. If for some reason I need to log in via console and need a GUI, I use FVWM.

3 Likes

Just installed today, my top Apps will be:

Kubernetes
Docker
rkt
Tmux
htop
Transmission
Phoronix
ffmpeg

2 Likes

I’ve used it for a while now as my daily driver on my work laptop.

I use Gnome DE with several extensions installed to make it look how I like.
For a terminal I use Tilix, and have done for some time.
Day to day activities, browser (Firefox), IM (Slack & Teams), Phone (Jami & Zoom)
For more in depth stuff, I use Atom to write some scripts (outside of simply using the terminal).

Inside the terminal itself I make use of bash-it to make my life a bit easier, though I’m trying to decide whether I’d like to move over to fish.

1 Like

GUI: GNOME,
Terminal: Terminator,
Browser: Opera
IDE: Intellij (flatpack)
FTP client: lftp
Teams (flatpack)

1 Like

I switched to clear linux two weeks back and I use for everything , but still these are 5 I regularly use
Browsing (Chrome , firefox)
VS Code , Docker , Python , go ( development )

1 Like

how can i install burp suite on clear linux?

I use the installer that Portswigger provides. It works without any issues. They also provide a .jar file, but I just use the installer.

how can i install chromiumedge on clear linux