What other things contribute to optimising Clear Linux, especially for web browsers?

I have an Intel HD integrated graphics card which is 620.

With other GNU/Linux distros I have been having lag issues with only web browsers, particularly when I am scrolling (specifically for chromium and chromium-based). I have enabled these flags enable-gpu-rasterization and ignore-gpu-blacklist (for chromium/chromium-based) and while they do improve the performance, it is still laggier compared to Windows. I have done GPU and CPU tests and they do better than on Windows.

I have used Clear Linux on my PC and another Arch-based system. With Clear Linux as long as those flags mentioned above are enabled then the browser performs very smooth. I installed linux-clear-lts2018, linux-clear and linux-clear-current on my Arch-based distro and while performance has significantly improved and it is close to Clear Linux’s performance, it is still a bit laggy compared to Clear Linux.

What other measures does Clear Linux use to optimise performance?

And also I would like to know how come ONLY web browsers are laggy but everything else runs smoothly?

Firefox on Clear Linux is the binary pulled directly from Mozilla. We do not build it like other packages.

The performance of other parts of the distro, some of which could impact browser performance, is a collective of things including compiler choices (versions, patches, flags, etc), patches to packaged software, and tweaked kernel parameter values.

Thanks for letting me know, do you know any other software/packages Clear Linux might use to help improve performance of the OS (other than the kernel)?

There is clr-power-tweaks which does some simple enforcement of runtime parameters.

You can check out the packaging of software and patches, including fundamental things like compilers and kernels, in the repositories here:

1 Like

Would you happen to know how would I build it and install it? I know I have to do git clone https://github.com/clearlinux/clr-power-tweaks.git but after that do I then cd into the directory of the git folder and then what would I type exactly next to compile and install?