Clear Linux, KDE, ffmpeg and ldconfig

First, I’ll say that I compiled ffmpeg with

./configure --enable-gpl --enable-nonfree --enable-libaom --enable-libass --enable-libfdk-aac --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopus --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-shared --enable-libbluray

which is what debian’s ffmpeg is compiled with (minus the shared). I installed all the dependencies and issued the following commands after reading in this forum:

echo “/usr/local/lib” | sudo tee -a /etc/ld.so.conf
echo “/usr/local/lib64” | sudo tee -a /etc/ld.so.conf

I also did the following command after reading here:
echo “export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib64” >> ${HOME}/.config/firefox.conf

Ffmpeg works within Firefox. I can view Youtube. I can watch Netflix. No problems. However, neither dragon player nor VLC can open a m4a or mp4 file encoded with h264. ffmpeg can see all the metadata for the desktop file but then says "Unable to find a suitable output format for ‘Legend.avi’ " and can’t even convert to avi! However, if I export LD_LIBRARY_PATH THEN ffmpeg can convert to avi. It’s doing so very slowly…but it’s doing it. But, VLC and dragon player still can’t open the file.

HOWEVER, if I type ldconfig -p I can see libraries in /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/lib64 are getting picked up even without exporting LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

In addition, KDE desktop appears to crash every so often. I’ll get a black screen for a second or two, then get my normal screen back. I’ve removed the desktop bundle and I’m only using the KDE desktop and logging in with sddm.

I’m running Clear Linux in Virtualbox 6.0.10 and installed guest additions with sudo install-vbox-lga

I’ve since swapped to a different distro for classes, but I know when I was on cl, I had issues with vlc playing videos. I used gnome-mpv flatpak instead to view local files. Hope this helps!

Thanks. I went ahead and switched to solus. There’s something weird going on with the stateless thing.