Clear Linux OS desktop UI to adopt a more vanilla GNOME desktop environment

If you have installed dash to dock then it should appear in the tweak tool. :thinking:
Enjoy KDE/Plasma! :heart:

Btw what are the Font settings? and is there any specific Font Rendering set? I have the impression that Fontrendering on Clear is really good.

Finally got dash to dock installed thanks for the help got my GNOME desktop close to being what it was thanks for the help

My beautiful Arc-dark theme is gone :frowning:ā€¦ Looks like I have to install it manually *sigh*

Themes donā€™t benefit from Intel optimizations. Yes, it is a small pain to install the themes you want instead of getting them with no effort, but now the Clear team can spend just a little bit more time getting the kernel to run faster instead of maintaining cool looking icons.

And, on top of that, youā€™ve learned how to install custom themes. I think that is a win all around.

3 Likes

after upgrading to 33010, the terminal always opens in the home directory, not in current workspace (right mouse button -> to open in the terminal)

2 Likes

Same bug here, annoying to use the terminal now ā€¦

@rudarav & @0xA1B2 common guys, do a forum search, this was discussed more then once before.

Terminal > Preferences > Profile > Command > Preserve working directory: Always

2 Likes

@spktkpkt Thanks, now I am happy :smiley:

1 Like

This didnā€™t work for me. I downloaded the files and copied them to /usr/share/themes but they donā€™t show up as themes in Tweaks.

This doesnā€™t work, you need to build them. Or do a forum search, there are other ways like:

I am using 33060 Build, which comes with Vanilla gnome. I tried to follow the instructions without success.

Is there a simpler way to get back those older look and customization ? Can somebody create new bundle making it easier to install ?
Thank you,

Could you explain what you are struggling with? Is it the gtk-themes/icons that you cannot install?

1 Like

From Gnome-Software Center (materia-gtkā€¦*), installed all Materia themes,
downloaded GitHub - clearlinux-pkgs/materia-theme, &
MateriaBreath .tar.gz from (https://www.gnome-look.org/p/1332014/) extracted to places like ./local/share/theme and other likely placesā€¦ opened gnome-tweak=>appearance . didnā€™t find entry there.
Later downloaded from debian package. working fine. but still some icons missing (paper).
Though not easier, like it happened in Older versions of Gnome.
Will make as SOLVED

you have to build it first and you need ā€œbundle-add games-dev(3gb)ā€ just follow the instruction provided by github.

1 Like

hereā€™s mine :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I could Install from Debian package. I suggested for possibility of somebody building a bundle for those who liked Old Look & Customization.

But still wondering why the themes didnā€™t work when installed from Gnome Software center.
Thank you

The ā€œthemeā€ you installed from gnome software were flatpak runtimes, not gnome themes.

1 Like

themes through Gnome Software are no longer supported by CL you have to manually install it.
you can add themes by creating ~/.themes folder in that location and set it through Gnome Tweaks. find themes here https://www.gnome-look.org/

2 Likes

Yes , you are right. I am not aware of Flatpak apps. Thinking those as Gnome themes, I installed. Thank you.

Is there a method / application to install themes easily. (other than ./themes paste method) ?

What surprises me is, even after these many improvements in DE, thinks like GDM customization, theme installation methods are not made easier.Whereas these things were easier in older versions of GNOME.