Defining keyboard layout

Querty keyboard not available for my native language Oriya. It’s an Indian language, only normal layout is available, which is difficult to use.

Is it possible to define a keyboard layout in linux? I couldn’t find anything from google. If possible please share the information.

I could define in Windows.

If you are new to Linux, consider other distros.

Thanks for the quick response. I’m not new to linux. Using it from many years. I have no problem using other indian languages like hindi.
I am looking for a qwerty keyboard layout, which is not available for my native language. Not available in the Ubuntu disto also. Qwerty mean, if I type ‘l’ in english keyboard it will write equivalent letter e.g. “la” in my language. But it is typing ‘ta’ in the current layout.

It is available for Hindi, but not for my language oriya.

m17n is likely to have your input method:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/m17n/m17n-db.git

BTW maybe m17n is already available in CL.

I manged to define a qwerty oriya language keyboard layout finally. It is really convenient now.

It is not available in any other linux distro. I don’t mind sharing it with others. If anyone can guide me how to share this with the community. I will like to do it. It will really help them, those who wants to use our language.

If you mean you defined a xkb layout then I think you should submit it to the upstream and it can benefit other users of your language.

Yes, xkb layout only. I know many are looking for this layout. Never used upstream before, couldn’t find anything from google. Please share the link, I will love to share this. It will help many others.

xorg-devel
https://www.x.org/wiki/XorgMailingLists/

Also just to remind you, if you don’t know yet, that if you’ve put the layout definition in its default location (somewhere under /usr), I recommend you to save a copy at other places.

Because /usr directory is maintained by swupd and when there’s software update your modifications may be lost.

I am completely new to this. Don’t know what to do in this page. Should I post the same question there in the development forum?? In xorg-devel ??

I already lost the code once, day before yesterday :frowning_face: . I actually modified the original file “in” for indian keyboards. Don’t know how to keep it in a separate file. If you can guide, will be appreciated.

just tell them you made a new layout and ask them how to contribute