Full text search in Nautilus

Hi. The full text search in Nautilus doesn’t seem to work. It apparently depends on the tracker subsystem, which is installed, but doesn’t seem to start. The output from trying to start the tracker daemon (tracker daemon -s) is quoted below. Is this a general problem, or is it just me? Any help or advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Rob

$tracker daemon -s
Starting miners…

(tracker daemon:2741): Tracker-CRITICAL **: 23:44:09.714: Could not create proxy on the D-Bus session bus, Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.Files: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit tracker-miner-fs.service not found.

(tracker daemon:2741): Tracker-CRITICAL **: 23:44:09.714: Could not create proxy on the D-Bus session bus, Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.Extract: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit tracker-extract.service not found.

(tracker daemon:2741): Tracker-CRITICAL **: 23:44:09.714: No D-Bus proxy found for miner ‘org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.Files’
✗ File System (perhaps a disabled plugin?)

(tracker daemon:2741): Tracker-CRITICAL **: 23:44:09.714: No D-Bus proxy found for miner ‘org.freedesktop.Tracker1.Miner.Extract’
✗ Extractor (perhaps a disabled plugin?)

It’s disabled due to excessive resource usage.

One of the big problems about daemons like this is that we can’t make them easily opt-in. When they’re functional, they are not even opt-out because they will get autostarted. We have almost no way to disable them until a user chooses to enable them.

1 Like

Ah OK, this used to be a problem in KDE too (I can’t remember the name of the subsystem but I always used to have to disable it). The ability to search within files without resorting to the command line is useful though. Given the speed with which Clear runs my Windows 10 virtual machine it’s not much trouble to switch over there and use the Windows search. A bit humilitating though! :wink:

Thanks for the prompt response.