Has anyone successfully installed NVIDIA driver to Optimus enabled laptops?

Yeah I have no problem creating a topic. You mean create a topic and put all my config files in there?

yes. A separate post is more likely to be discovered by other users.

1 Like

I have a MSI GP62MVR-6RF with an MSI MAG241C as external display (with Displayport, so I can use G-SYNC). I used drivers 430.40 until last week, when after rebooting I couldn’t get in the GUI environment. After double checking all the config files, (look note 2 in this thread), the only way I could make it work again has been by installing the new version. There are some changes to the post-install script that had to be made, since the swupd --fix command wasn’t properly formatted (refer to the official guide to get the right command). I can only say you should really double check all the configs and the symlinks, because it’s easy to miss something.

swupd verify --fix has been marked as deprecated for a while, and from the first released version of my post-instal script, I use swupd repair instead.

Also, I’m actively updating the scripts. Now there’re scripts for updating.

I know, but swupd repair doesn’t support the --bundle option (at least it didn’t work to me). That’s why I had to fallback to the old one

I can verify that, swupd --repair --quick --bundle=lib-opengl didn’t work for me either during installation.

It used to support --bundle until last few weeks they disabled it because users will accidentaly remove system files when this command is not invoked in a correct way.

I opened a GitHub issue on this and they said it would be re-enabled after they make --bundle safer.

1 Like

I will think about how to solve this problem. On one hand, swupd repair doesn’t support --bundle at this point. On the other hand swupd verify --fix is marked deprecated and would be eventually removed.

1 Like

I would say that, if it works, use the old method. I know it’s deprecated, but until it gets removed it’s the best way to do it, unless you know of any workarounds.

Which card do you own?

This sister-thread will make it work with little-to-no trouble:

There is a more recent announcement and tips.

Additional tips for Optimus-based laptops.

The two threads have everything covered.

In a nut-shell.

NVIDIA users using 3000+/4000+ series cannot install Clear Linux using the graphical installer. So, booting into text mode it is. There’s no way around it.

Not sure which Clear Linux release? Install 38640. Do not upgrade until GNOME 44 stabilizes. CL 38650 introduces graphical glitches and decrease in OpenGL performance.

Install the LTS kernel for the least amount of troubles. For example: Blender does not support CUDA 12.x. Moreover, the 520 driver will not build on Kernel 6.2. Go into the advanced screen/tab during the OS installation and select the LTS kernel. The NVIDIA 520 driver installation will then succeed.

For Optimus laptops, uncomment the two lines in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf after the driver installation before rebooting (described in the 2nd topic).