Help fixing pause in boot up + startup services

I’m noticing a pause in the boot sequence near 20 seconds into boot. If it weren’t for this pause, I think I’d be seeing a desktop near 20 seconds instead of 40+. Full system log in a gist: Clear Linux system log during boot · GitHub

System log starts with:

9:34:47 PM kernel: initcall rfkill_init+0x0/0x120 [rfkill] returned 0 after 63 usecs
 9:34:47 PM kernel: calling  rfkill_init+0x0/0x120 [rfkill] @ 393

and there are a couple hundred entries over the initial 2 seconds… I see bluetooth (which I don’t use nor want) as well as KVM stuff:

9:34:47 PM kernel: initcall svm_init+0x0/0xc79 [kvm_amd] returned -95 after 392 usecs
 9:34:47 PM kernel: kvm: disabled by bios
 9:34:47 PM kernel: calling  svm_init+0x0/0xc79 [kvm_amd] @ 383
 9:34:47 PM kernel: calling  rtl8822be_driver_init+0x0/0x1000 [r8822be] @ 393
 9:34:47 PM kernel: initcall svm_init+0x0/0xc79 [kvm_amd] returned -95 after 200 usecs
 9:34:47 PM kernel: calling  svm_init+0x0/0xc79 [kvm_amd] @ 390
 9:34:47 PM kernel: initcall svm_init+0x0/0xc79 [kvm_amd] returned -95 after 405 usecs
 9:34:47 PM kernel: calling  svm_init+0x0/0xc79 [kvm_amd] @ 391

But the problems seem near here: look at the time jump from 9:35:32 to 9:36:06 with little activity…

9:36:06 PM sudo: pam_unix(sudo:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
 9:35:42 PM systemd: systemd-localed.service: Succeeded.
 9:35:32 PM dbus-daemon: [system] Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.PackageKit': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)
 9:35:32 PM gnome-shell: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.PackageKit: Timeout was reached
 9:35:27 PM kernel: pcieport 0000:00:01.7: BAR 15: assigned [mem 0xf0400000-0xf05fffff 64bit pref]
 9:35:27 PM kernel: pci_bus 0000:02: Allocating resources
 9:35:20 PM systemd-timesyn: Synchronized to time server for the first time 216.229.0.50:123 (1.clearlinux.pool.ntp.org).

25 seconds before the error is this:

9:35:07 PM packagekitd: Failed to resolve auto: No backends found
 9:35:07 PM kernel: rfkill: input handler disabled
 9:35:07 PM packagekitd: daemon start
 9:35:07 PM systemd: Starting PackageKit Daemon...
 9:35:07 PM dbus-daemon: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.PackageKit' unit='packagekit.service' requested by ':1.39' (uid=1000 pid=628 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-shell ")

1. Any thoughts about the pause or if it could be related to that error?
2. What can I do to eliminate bluetooth?

Thanks in advance for help - I’m looking forward to seeing how quick I can get this Ryzen 7 laptop to boot to desktop. :blue_heart:

If anyone cares about seeing hardware info, here’s another gist with some: Hardware info about hp Envy x360 laptop with Ryzen 7 · GitHub

Boot time issue? Step one: inspect /run/log/bootchart-*.svg (open it in a browser). You may need to tune /etc/systemd/bootchartd.conf to make the chart log longer. systemd-analyze blame also may show useful info.

1 Like

Thanks for new info and helping me learn cool new systemd things! :slight_smile:
There is not a bootchartd.conf file on my system, so I’ll google adding that. I updated the gist here: Clear Linux system log during boot · GitHub with the output from blame.

OK, I found conf at /usr/lib/systemd/bootchart.conf.d/clear.conf
I edited it and then next boot, /run/log was empty. D’oh, I broke it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But the SVG (systemd bootchart try 1 for chris_k -svgshare.com) stops at 12 seconds, long before the pause happens.

I updated the first Gist a 3rd time with the transcription of what was on the screen (wouldn’t it be great to find THIS log somewhere??) :

Still haven’t found what I’m looking for… :slight_smile:

What kind of system/setup is this? 20+ seconds is really slow.

You want to make a new /etc/systemd/bootchart.conf instead of using the version in /usr/lib... because swupd will overwrite it (as it should).

To log more, increase Samples=500 to Samples=8000 or so, which should cover ~40 seconds. Your /etc/systemd/bootchart.conf should look like this:

[Bootchart]
Samples=8000

After you’ve reverted the change in /usr/lib (run swupd diagnose --fix to do that).

1 Like

This is a hp Envy x360 laptop with ryzen 7 2700u.

Here is a gist with the output of lspci and lshw: Hardware info about hp Envy x360 laptop with Ryzen 7 · GitHub

I agree 20 seconds is abysmal, but I’m accustomed to ubuntu needing a 20 second sleep-over when it tries for wifi or bluetooth (i don’t use BT)

Sadly, a new development: I plugged in a keyboard and then my keyboard and mouse would stutter and go away for 10 or 20 seconds. :hot_face: I haven’t had that problem in a decade and will try to dig up a usb hub. But I’d really like to get the boot thing sorted out, too.

It is still 4.2 seconds. Frequency is supposed to be Hz samples and 200 samples per second is not 25 Hz like I set in /etc/systemd/bootchart.conf Yeah, after several tries, it’s obviously ignoring my conf file.

Here is the file:

[Bootchart]
Init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
Samples=2000
ControlGroup=yes
Relative=yes
Frequency=25
ScaleX=100
ScaleY=20
PlotMemoryUsage=yes
PlotEntropyGraph=yes

No matter what I did, bootchart is not of any use to me.

1. Added a /etc/systemd/bootchart.conf as per suggested and also the man page. – SVG output stayed the same.
  2. Delete /usr/lib/systemd/bootchart.conf.d/clear.conf so that systemd might look at /etc/systemd/bootchart.conf – no SVG output at all.
  3. Edit /usr/lib/systemd/bootchart.conf.d/clear.conf (not adding any entries, just changing parameters) – no SVG output at all --> and then /usr/lib/systemd/bootchart.conf.d/clear.conf was changed back to defaults.

Looks like a bug to me.

ack, that should have worked. I’ll need to look into this.

1 Like

I’ve done embedded software; if it’s not too miserable getting the environment set up, I’m game to try and solve problems.