How to downgrade linux kernel on clearlinux

Is there a way to perform a kernel downgrade in clearlinux?

I’m testing for a specific regression and would love to boot the older kernel I had circa Saturday to double-check my source of regression (supposedly a micro-code update).

If you are lucky you could sudo clr-boot-manager list-kernels and find a previous kernel you can then set with clr-boot-manager. If not, you could try a swupd verify -m <clearlinux version> --fix and downgrade your clearlinux libraries and kernel to a version that has the kernel you want. It will downgrade your entire set of OS libraries though to that version of clear linux as if you installed that version. It can only go so far back due to format bumps but it sounds like you don’t want to go too far back.

You can read more about swupd here.

3 Likes

Is it possible to get a list of CL releases and versions with their corresponding kernels?

Basically stupid Nvidia CUDA doesn’t work with kernel 5.9+… can you believe that. Uggh.

So have to downgrade to some old version… except don’t know which is the lastest CL version that has kernel 5.8

the installer gives you the option to install an LTS Kernel (4.19 sthg if I am not wrong) … maybe you could look into that …

1 Like

Thanks. That could work. In the meantime I ran

sudo swupd bundle-add kernel-lts2019

then rebooted, then ran
sudo clr-boot-manager set-kernel org.clearlinux.lts2019.5.4.144-137
then another reboot.

so far looking like it’s working. it seems weird to use the latest distribution version 35030 with an LTS kernel. But hopefully it works… otherwise reinstall.

1 Like