Installing Google Earth Pro

I would like to use the Google Earth Pro desktop app on Clear. I tried downloading the RPM and installing using dnf, but that failed. Any suggestions about what else I might try?

james@Q35~ $ sudo dnf install --releasever=/ google-eart
h-pro-stable-current.x86_64.rpm
Unable to detect release version (use '--releasever' to
specify release version)
Last metadata expiration check: 9:11:10 ago on Sun 11 Au
g 2019 01:47:24 AM EDT.
Can not load RPM file: google-earth-pro-stable-current.x
86_64.rpm.
Could not open: google-earth-pro-stable-current.x86_64.r
pm

A nice person on IRC answered it for me.

rpm2cpio ~/Downloads/google-earth-pro-stable-current.x86_64.rpm | (cd / ; sudo cpio -idv )

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this, could this be somehow bundled with CL ?

Google Earth, like many Google products is distributed as a binary by Google. Whilst they build it for Debian/Ubuntu, and Fedora/Open Suse, they don’t provide a package that would work out of the box for Clear Linux. And without a licence to redistribute binaries, we can’t package it for Clear Linux on their behalf. It’s the same story for Google Chrome. We’d like to be able to provide these programs so they can be easily used in Clear Linux, but I don’t anticipate any support soon.

1 Like

No luck.

rpm2cpio ~/Downloads/google-earth-pro-stable-current.x86_64.rpm | (cd /; sudo cpio -idv)
cpio: premature end of archive

and

sudo rpm -Uvh google-earth-pro-stable-current.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
mesa-libGLU is needed by google-earth-pro-stable-7.3.3.7786-0.x86_64
wget is needed by google-earth-pro-stable-7.3.3.7786-0.x86_64
xdg-utils is needed by google-earth-pro-stable-7.3.3.7786-0.x86_64
/bin/sh is needed by google-earth-pro-stable-7.3.3.7786-0.x86_64

Can’t understand needing /bin.sh.

Suggestions appreciated.

Go here and DL the Redhat version. Earth Versions – Google Earth

It will install when the file is in the download directory.

Paste or type “google-earth-pro” into Terminal to run it.

Make an alias or Icon for it

Unfortunately, since that method uses “Software” GUI and not terminal, it fails as well for me. Did it work for you? The is no “Redhat” version, just Fedora/Suse or Ubuntu/Debian. Yes, I do understand the file extensions. In CL though, it doesn’t use a straight up dnf/yum methodology for installation. It would be nice if it were in Flatpak, but it’s not either.

What is really needed is a command line option using Terminal.

Redhat is the same as Fedora. I hate the whole Fedora hats culture and try to not acknowledge the marketing travesty committed by Redhat.

That is a command line solution.

I’m not sure what I need to do. I have the .rpm file downloaded. I am not understanding the command line syntax needed to install google-earth-pro before I could run it from the command line. When I enter rpm2cpio ~/Downloads/google-earth-pro-stable-current.x86_64.rpm in a terminal line, I receive this error message: Error: refusing to output cpio data to a terminal. clearly, I need to do more. Could someone walk us through this process?

Hello, just follow this steps

Installing all the prerequisite , getting and unpacking Google Earth

sudo swupd bundle-add wget package-utils
cd ~/Downloads && mkdir gearth && cd gearth && wget https://dl.google.com/dl/earth/client/current/google-earth-pro-stable-current.x86_64.rpm
rpm2cpio google-earth-pro-stable-current.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idmv
rm google-earth-pro-stable-current.x86_64.rpm

“Installation”, you may skip it and use binary file directly

sudo mv opt/* /opt/
sudo mv usr/bin/* /usr/bin/

Creating shortcut

sudo cp /opt/google/earth/pro/product_logo_256.png /usr/share/icons/hicolor/256x256/apps/gearth.png
echo -e "[Desktop Entry]\nType=Application\nName=Google Earth Pro\nIcon=gearth\nExec=google-earth-pro\nTerminal=false\nCategories=Office;" > ~/.local/share/applications/gearth.desktop
1 Like