No Advanced Installation option

What the fuk? Shouldn’t the user at least be warned of which installer check the system failed? Anything makes more sense than completely hiding the fact that the Advanced Installation option exists.

What to be accomplished by dropping f-bombs?

Frustration. It happens. It’s not ev3n a proper bomb. Same can be asked about your reply.

Let’s keep it together. The language distracts and wastes our time - I’d really rather figure out what is going wrong here and fix that instead than having to moderate.

tagging @mhorn for his input

There was definitely an issue in rendering that screen; the Advanced Installation options should always be present. If we could see the /root/clr-installer.log file, it could provide some insight as to what the problem might be.

But based on the Gparted image, it might be that you do not have enough free space for an installation. We require a minimum of 20GiB free for a desktop install.

There are three levels of filters when we look for installable targets:

1. We excluded any device which has any part of it mounted in the active OS
  2. We exclude devices with major ID known to be read-only or memory-based; lsblk --exclude 1,2,11
  3. We have a minimum free size requirement for install targets
    • Server: 4GiB
    • Desktop: 20GiB
1 Like

Sorry about that.

The interesting thing was that I ended up deleting everything in that HD, yes, 120GB of free unpartitioned space (which btw is my main drive, which in turn means Windows installation deleted) and yet it was not giving me the Advanced install option (I hope you can bear with me wrt the frustration at this point).
I should mention that it was a 324X0 snapshot of the OS, I don’t remember exactly which one. After that, downloading the latest was the only choice left, so I did, and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately that means there’s no way I can aid you in making sure this problem was fixed or not.

With that said, 20GiB minimum is too high, considering that you’re prevented from installing the OS if you don’t provide that.

Also related, my setup has my HDD as Disk 0 and my SSD as Disk 1. Formatting Disk 0 made CLOS fail to boot, but Windows booted without any problems. I take that some boot code is placed on Disk 0 by default? Whatever that may be, having an option to change it in the installation process seems like a good idea.

PSA for people using ntfs-3g wrt partition block size: ntfs-3g doesn’t work with partitions formatted with block size over 16KB. Lesson learned the hard way.