Printer not added

Hi, I am Christoph from Germany. I want to install my Canon TS 5055 with usb. I installed the devpkg-gutenprint in the CL Desktop. The printer not added in the settings.

Please help Thank you

You may need to install the driver provided by its manufacturer.

Usually you can find a .RPM package and you can use rpm2cpio and cpio to extract it’s contents with the structure remained. Then move them to appropriate locations.

Thank you. I know the rpm package and I extracted.

at which place should be moved?

Usually ./lib to /usr/lib64 and ./share to /use/share. It’d be helpful if you can run tree command on the folder so I know what’s the structure.

Fehler beim Verschieben von lib.
Beim Verschieben der DAtei nach /usr/lib64 ist ein Fehler aufgetreten.

Fehler beim Verschieben der Datei /home/Narada/downloads/cnijflter2-5.40-1-rpm/packages/usr//lib: Keine Berechtigung /No authorization

when Administrator and SystemAdministrator

I cannot read German but I think it says you don’t have permission for the operation.

To modify /use/lib64/ you need ‘sudo’. And also, you can install those files under /use/local/, which should be better.

So, if you see /use/lib, it goes to /use/local/lib64 and /use/share goes to /use/local/share. And there maybe additional files such as /etc and /opt, which can be installed at /etc and /opt.

Sometimes there are install script, or even multiple install scripts, for example for my Brother printer I have pre-install script and install script that I need to execute in addition to copying the files.

It’d be better if you can post the structure of the contents of the RPM.

Sorry, what is the command in the terminal from CL Desktop?

install the printer driver by entering the following command from the command line of a terminal software.

!(file:///tmp/mozilla_Narada0/guide-pd-5.40-1_en/images/dot2.gif)For Fedora 24

(1) Expanding the archived file and switching to the expanded directory

[root@zzz /yyy]# tar zxvf cnijfilter2-5.40-x-rpm.tar.gz
[root@zzz /yyy]# cd cnijfilter2-5.40-x-rpm

(2) Installing the printer driver

[root@zzz /yyy]# ./install.sh

!(file:///tmp/mozilla_Narada0/guide-pd-5.40-1_en/images/dot2.gif)For Ubuntu 16.04

(1) Expanding the archived file and switching to the expanded directory

[user@zzz /yyy] tar zxvf cnijfilter2-5.40-x-deb.tar.gz [user@zzz /yyy] cd cnijfilter2-5.40-x-deb

(2) Installing the printer driver

[user@zzz /yyy]$ sudo ./install.sh

I cannot see any pictures.

Sorry, I installed my canon pixma ts with cups. After that, my scanner with simple scan in gnome, hasn t a function.

Please send me, the detailed commands in the terminal.

Example: …@clr-…~/Downloads/cnijfilter2-5.40-l-rpm/packages/usr $

Example from Canon: user@zzz/yyyy $ sudo ./install. sh

Please, very detailled. Thank you

I cannot send you the detailed command if I cannot understand what you’re talking about.

Can you try to re-describe what you’re trying to do now?

Everytime you’re replying things irrelevant to my questions.

I loaded the rpm file from the Canon support page and extracted with archive management. Finally open the 64bit file in the terminal and now i want to install the driver.

Moving /usr and /shar is not possible due to rights management. So I have to install the driver with a command in the terminal.

Prepend sudo before the command gives you root privilege.

Again,

I cannot give you any specific command because I asked you to show me the contents of the RPM but you didn’t. So I cannot know what you need to install.

The folder from Canon is cnijfilter2-5.40-1-rpm.tar.gz. Extracted is cnijfilter2-5.40-1-rpm.
The folder contains Packages with usr and contains with lib, lib 64, local and share,
resources and the file install.sh

Extract the tar.gz and run tree ~/Downloads/cnijfilter2-5.40-1-rpm gives me the structure as follows

~/Downloads/cnijfilter2-5.40-1-rpm
├── install.sh
├── packages
│   ├── cnijfilter2-5.40-1.i386.rpm
│   └── cnijfilter2-5.40-1.x86_64.rpm
└── resources
    ├── printer_fr_utf8.lc
    ├── printer_ja_utf8.lc
    └── printer_zh_utf8.lc

Suppose your system is 64bit, extract cnijfilter2-5.40-1.x86_64.rpm as a CPIO archive with rpm2cpio cnijfilter2-5.40-1.x86_64.rpm > canon.cpio.

Then extract the contents of cpio with the file structure with mkdir cpio; cd cpio; cpio -idv < ../canon.cpio.

Take a look of the resulting directory if you want.

To install, run

sudo cp -rv usr/* /usr

Thanks, I understand. Unfortunately, I m not an expert on linux.
Please give me the commands for the terminal.

I already give you every commands you need.

I have Epson printer which I tried to connect it with my laptop but after the connection, I am getting Epson Printer Error 0xe8 and not able to find out the reason behind this error. Kindly help me out to resolve this error.

Try to install the driver.

Hi, I have Canon PIXMA MP560. So I downloaded the rpm from there

$ tree cnijfilter-mp560series-3.20-1-i386-rpm
cnijfilter-mp560series-3.20-1-i386-rpm
├── install.sh
└── packages
├── cnijfilter-common-3.20-1.i386.rpm
└── cnijfilter-mp560series-3.20-1.i386.rpm

I then did the rpm2cpio extract for both rpm’s

$ rpm2cpio cnijfilter-common-3.20-1.i386.rpm > canon.cpio
$ mkdir cpio; cd cpio; cpio -idv < ../canon.cpio
$ sudo cp -rv usr/* /usr
$ rpm2cpio cnijfilter-mp560series-3.20-1.i386.rpm > mp560.cpio
$ mkdir mp560; cd mp560/; cpio -idv < ../mp560.cpio
$ sudo cp -rv usr/* /usr

However, nothing seems to have changed. I still can not add printer or print.

You need carefully examine the install.sh and use that as a guidance to correct set up your system for the driver.

Merely installing the rpm is not sufficient in general.