Thinkpad X1 Carbon Display Issues

Not sure if this is the right place for this.

I am having issues with external displays running clear linux on the thinkpad x1 carbon 6th Gen. xrandr and the displays settings window does not show any displays. xrandr --query should be showing me display ports that are disconnected. Like the built in HDMI port on the laptop but that doesn’t show up. The only display that shows is the eDP-1 (which is the laptop screen itself). The X1 Carbon is a supported laptop on your site but maybe not the right generation?

I have already tried fiddling with some settings in the bios and disabling the nouveau driver so it would default to the intel graphics driver.

Am I missing something in the bios or is there a setting in linux I can change so it will start detecting display ports?

So it seemed to work when I disabled the integrated graphics in the bios and re-enabled the nouveau driver.

Any idea why this might be?

I don’t know why, but I know we have some challenges with the nouveau driver. See Bash scripts to automate installation of NVIDIA proprietary driver known issues near the bottom of the article. If you want to follow up, please enter a bug on github under Clear Linux distribution - Issues · clearlinux/distribution · GitHub

1 Like

You might find the solution on this page :

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Ubuntu/Anyone-Have-Working-Hybrid-Graphics-on-Linux/td-p/4357559

1 Like

When you install NVIDIA proprietary driver, it also install a program, nvidia-xconfig. This program can create Xorg configurations according to the options you passed to it.

Also, I once found some documentation for the NVIDIA driver under a directory like /opt/nvdiia/*/src, I cannot remember its exact path. It introduced many things including multi-display setups.