VLC bundle broken?

Doesn’t work in a clean install either. Always used the flatpak but trying to make do this go around without it.

Does not appear to even attempt to start at all. No complaints in terminal either.

I have made a fresh install of the CL-36870, with the same pendrive, on 2 different notebooks: 1) Lenovo Thinkpad T530 (Core i5 3rd / 8GB) , where VLC works fine; and 2) Dell Latitude 7490 (Core i7 8th / 16GB) where VLC doesn’t start, no message, nothing.
Exactly the same installation on both, same packages … both are a mirror of the other one.

Have you use this one?

sudo swupd bundle-add vlc

Sometimes you have to let software sit for around of updates because something may be out of sync with you have since everything is bleeding edge. There might be something missing that was on a previous version. For instance… I’ll install a fresh Nvidia Driver and it usually takes a couple of days for GWE or OBS to work. Make sure to download and install ffmpeg.

git clone https://git.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git ffmpeg
cd /home/$user/ffmpeg
sudo -s
./configure && make && make install

That should do it.

Hi, the compilation process ends up with error 1
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/usr/local/share/man’: Permission denied

The sudo privilege is not required for the configure step, but required for installation.

./configure && make && sudo -s make install

Configure asks permition, despite that had already been configured. So, do the trick:

sudo -s ./configure && make && sudo -s make install

$ which ffmpeg
/usr/local/bin/ffmpeg

$ which ffprobe
/usr/local/bin/ffprobe

But vlc still not working, only message is printed:

$ vlc …/Videos/foo.mp4
VLC media player 3.0.18 Vetinari (revision 3.0.13-8-g41878ff4f2)

Either mpv:

(+) Video --vid=1 () (h264 360x360 25.000fps)
(+) Audio --aid=1 (
) (aac 2ch 44100Hz)
[vo/gpu] VT_GETMODE failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
[vo/gpu/opengl] Failed to set up VT switcher. Terminal switching will be unavailable.
*** MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DISABLE is deprecated; use MESA_SHADER_CACHE_DISABLE instead ***
[vo/gpu] Failed to commit ModeSetting atomic request (-13)
[vo/gpu/opengl] Failed to set CRTC for connector 95: Permission denied
*** MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DISABLE is deprecated; use MESA_SHADER_CACHE_DISABLE instead ***
[vo/gpu-next] Can’t handle VT release - signal already used
[vo/gpu-next/opengl] Failed to set up VT switcher. Terminal switching will be unavailable.
[vo/gpu-next] Failed to commit ModeSetting atomic request (-13)
[vo/gpu-next/opengl] Failed to set CRTC for connector 95: Permission denied
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (–vo) device.
Video: no video
Failed to initialize a decoder for codec ‘aac’.
Audio: no audio
No video or audio streams selected.

Exiting… (Errors when loading file)

Though, I guess, the ffmpeg itself working fine. I was managed to download from youtube and extract sound with yt-dlp.

VLC bundle still not working as of Mar. 7, 2023.

try passing LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib to vlc
env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib vlc …/Videos/foo.mp4