VMWare Workstation Pro post-installation issues

After following this tutorial, my system doesn’t show any audio devices in settings.

i7-4790k CPU, RX 5700 XT GPU, using HDMI audio out.

On a side note, I keep having to run:
sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

In order to use VMWare Workstation Pro after every reboot.

Autoload VMware Kernel Modules

sudo mkdir /etc/modules-load.d
sudo gedit /etc/modules-load.d/vmware.conf

vmw_vmci 
vmmon 
vmnet

sudo clr-boot-manager update

modprobe -a vmw_vmci vmmon

reboot
2 Likes

That’s it! That worked. Never thought to add a config file, thanks!

As far as the sound devices not being detected, I ended up performing a fresh copy. I think I need to change the topic to something more suitable, LOL!!!

Hi - I had the same problem, I created the config file above and it fixed it. Except my network won’t connect to any of my VMs. I have to enter this in the terminal sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start then it starts the services and my network will connect. Is there one of the services that could be added to the config file that was created that is missing?

Add vmnet to the modprobe line :

modprobe -a vmw_vmci vmmon vmnet

Check for /dev/vmnet0 _ /dev/vmnet1 _ /dev/vmnet8

Hi thanks for the quick reply it’s most appreciated. I entered the command you mentioned and added the vmnet at the end. I rebooted but it still didn’t work, When you said check for /dev/vmnet0 _ /dev/vmnet1 _ /dev/vmnet8 what exactly do you mean? I know these are the vmware network adapters that are created by vmware. Should I see them in the terminal? Please forgive me as I’m a newbie with Linux.

Yes, they should be visible in the terminal, if vmnet loads correctly.

If not, you could try :

If that still doesn’t fix the problem, have a look here.

1 Like

Thanks - No it’s wasn’t in the terminal widow. The command you supplied worked up until I rebooted. Then I have to enter one of the three to get the network to start:-

sudo /etc/init.d/vmware start
or
vmware-networks --start
or

Or if I open the virtual network editor then it will start also.

Weird how they don’t start automatically.

If I removed VMware, would I get this much hassle installing Virtual Box?

Probably less hassle…

Installation normally goes like :

sudo wget -O https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/6.1.32/VirtualBox-6.1.32-149290-Linux_amd64.run | bash

1 Like