Why is there no clearlinux-restricted-extras?

why is there no clearlinux-restricted-extras bundle ?

sudo swupd bundle-add clearlinux-restricted-extras

The Ubuntu Restricted Extras is a metapackage and has the following dependencies:

• flashplugin-installer
  • gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
  • gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3
  • gstreamer0.10-pitfdll
  • gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
  • gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
  • gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
  • gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse
  • icedtea6-plugin
  • libavcodec-extra-52
  • libmp4v2-0
  • ttf-mscorefonts-installer
  • unrar

We’ve explained this ad nauseam in other topics. Please read the existing articles and threads first before asking the same question over again.

2 Likes

It does not seem fair to ask someone to read other topics in order to search for an answer to his/her question unless the forums are indexed. “Ad nauseam” is a bit testy, and not called for.

2 Likes

Fine, I’ll reply with an answer: None of the packages you listed meet our inclusion criteria - they have to be open source, maintained, non-encumbered by patents, not full of security issues, meet generic open source best practices, and there’s probably a few things I’m not listing here. I’ll leave it up to @nazar_s to figure out for each one what the missing qualification is.

This was mentioned many times before. @nazar_s has done a fantastic job of requesting things on github (better than most), but on several occasions we’ve already had to explain to them that we can’t include some parts due to our inclusion guidelines.

e.g. unrar: how to extract .rar? · Issue #1305 · clearlinux/distribution · GitHub

So, I’ve literally explained to this user before why we can’t include something.

1 Like

You can read the FAQ in the Documentation:
https://docs.01.org/clearlinux/latest/FAQ/index.html

Part Software availability on this subject.

You can also read: Tutorials and Guides - Clear Linux OS Forum

I take this opportunity to congratulate the Clear Linux OS team for the quality of the documentation.
I found the information by the keyword ffmpeg

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I am just a general non-techy non-IT guy, who happens to use linux for fun. I have started using gnome just because of Clearlinux. I use it in old laptop of mine and clearlinux is the only distro which makes my laptop as cool as windows 7 used to. Ubuntu derivaties or even manjaro just cooks my laptop. You guys are the first who explained to me how to build broadcom 43142 for me step by step and get it working till date but i was thinking of “ad nauseam” to how to DKMS and all stuff step by step too". I don’t have enough money to buy new laptop right now.

I dont understand how ubuntu is delivering the same package(they must be doing this " open source, maintained, non-encumbered by patents, not full of security issues, meet generic open source best practices" ) but they are delivering it as ubuntu-restricted-extras. So i just asked it here, why not clearlinux bring with the twist they have implemented and make these package available.

Due to this package issue i even did this.

Well i hope clr-3rd-party will get me there some day i guess.

Why is there no “close this issue” button? :slight_smile:

If you want to know why Ubuntu can ship these packages, you need to ask them. I can only explain that we (the Clear Linux OS team) can’t ship them. What others may or may not be able to do is irrelevant to Intel and the Clear Linux team. We have our own rules and we need to follow them.

Currently clearlinux-restricted-extras = sudo swupd 3rd-party add https://clear.greginator.xyz/