Booting from USB on Windows 10

I have followed the instructions to create a bootable USB installation, and Clear does boot up but the desktop display is only shown in the top half of the screen. I tried changing the display settings in Clear, but it would only revise the resolution in the top portion of the screen.

System is HP AIO with Intel Core i7-6700 @ 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, Win 10 64 bit.

The same issue occurred with Ubuntu 18.x.

Any ideas about correcting this issue please?

Hi,

Are you starting Clear using virtual software? If so, what are you using?

Thanks Peter.
I followed the instructions as per the website, created the bootable USB drive via Rufus, then restarted the machine to boot from the USB drive.
There was no virtual software involved. I wanted to try out the OS without committing to install it.

I think we’re having a difficult time understanding what your problem is. Can you maybe take a photograph of the problem? Do you have a special display of some sorts? What graphics card do you have?

Here you go.

This is odd. You could try booting with the

nomodeset

kernel flag.

Just before Clear starts booting, you can mash the spacebar to bring up the boot menu (JUST after the BIOS screen flashes). You can then press the E key to bring up the kernel boot options and just append the text nomodeset to the end of the line. It may not bring up the login screen at all - but it’s probably worth a try.

Thanks Peter.

Adding nomodeset to the kernel boot options did the trick, and I was able to log on and run the installer.

However, I want to run the OS from the USB stick rather than install ClearOS to a drive. How do I do that please?

Then I will be able to have a look at the desktop to see how it works for me.

Regards,
Glenn Stewart

Hi Glenn,

Can you share the exact model number of your HP AIO? Maybe we can replicate the issue.

ClearOS is actually another unaffiliated product. To avoid any confusion for others please use Clear Linux or CL for short.

Adding nomodeset to the kernel boot options did the trick, and I was able to log on and run the installer.

On the USB follow this instructions

sudo mkdir -p /etc/kernel/cmdline.d
echo “nomodeset” | sudo tee /etc/kernel/cmdline.d/nomodeset.conf
sudo clr-boot-manager update

This way you are adding more parameters to the kernel cmdline always.
to get more info you can read “man clr-boot-manager”