Cannot reboot since 39960

Since 39960, I cannot reboot clear linux. I can still connect with ssh. (on a NUC 5CPYH)

I do: sudo swupd repair --picky -m 39950 to repair the system.

Thanks

I also experience very long boot times. Also since version 39970 I get messages like:

systemd-journald[268]: Failed to write entry to /var/log/journal/(…)/system.journal (25 items, 5104311 bytes) despite vacuuming, ignoring: Argument list too long

or

workqueue: drm_fb_helper_damage_work hogged CPU for >10000us 4 times, consider switching to WQ_UNBOUND
workqueue: drm_fb_helper_damage_work hogged CPU for >10000us 8 times, consider switching to WQ_UNBOUND
workqueue: drm_fb_helper_damage_work hogged CPU for >10000us 16 times, consider switching to WQ_UNBOUND

Also the qemu-guest-additions are not starting properly anymore…

So overall I have also issues with the latest release…
https://cdn.download.clearlinux.org/releases/39970/clear/RELEASENOTES

Maybe some issues cause long boot times, so that the reboot just feels like it fails?

Do you, by any chance, have a docking station attached? USB attached drives?

Just wanted to let you know I drew this issue to the attention of the devs and they are working on it.

4 Likes

No. I have only the NUC and it is since 39960.

39990 does fix it for me. Maybe it does for you too?

I have Clear Linux running on Vmware, that I have not disabled auto updates.
Just rebooted today. It still works. It is running a small samba server in the role as
an Active Directory.

root@clr-linux-srv~ # swupd info
Distribution: Clear Linux OS
Installed version: 39980
Version URL: https://cdn.download.clearlinux.org/update
Content URL: https://cdn.download.clearlinux.org/update

uname -a
Linux clr-linux-srv 6.5.4-1363.native #1 SMP Tue Sep 19 11:02:38 PDT 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

39990 still not reboot with my NUC 5CPYH. I run 39950 with the new kernel

uname -a
Linux jmpad-home 6.5.4-1365.native #1 SMP Thu Sep 21 08:57:33 PDT 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Something is wrong @11h10 has identified some kind of an issue. I attempted to update my home server
with a USB boot drive. It failed big time. Here is a log captured from the console
Installing files…

Update was applied
Calling post-update helper scripts
External command: none
External command: clr_debug_fuse.service: restarted (the binary was updated)
External command: pacdiscovery.service: restarted (the binary was updated)
External command: tallow.service: restarted (the binary was updated)
External command: pacrunner.service: restarted (the binary was updated)
External command: systemd-journald.service: restarted (the binary was updated)
External command: systemd-timesyncd.service: restarted (the binary was updated)
Update took 681.0 seconds, 1766 MB transferred
13000 files were not in a pack
Update successful - System updated from version 39860 to version 39980

When I attempted to reboot it stalled after what was displayed in the console
[ 0.539086] kvm_intel: VMX not supported by CPU 16
[1.548252] /dev/root:Can’t open blockdev
[1.552518] Lidy og bdev filesystems
[1.556668] ext3
… No more messaged

Needless to say I will not be updating my home server until this issue gets straightened out.

is this related? Adding CF repo renders computer unbootable · Issue #34 · clearfraction/distribution · GitHub

1 Like

Yes, that’s it. I remove /etc/environment.d/10-cf.conf.

Thanks

I looked at my rescue USB disk that I use for testing new Clear Linux builds I did not see the
/etc/environment.d/10-cf.conf configuration file. Is this something the update scripts add if so why wasn’t is added during the update process. Does this script that needed to run manually? Why are these environmental variables settings needed now?

this is for when you add the clearfraction repo.
You can see on the README that you need to manually create the 10-cf.conf file to enable this repo.
If you haven’t added the clearfraction repo then this doesn’t apply to you and something else is wrong with your system

1 Like